3.77/Top 5% at T2. Should I transfer and what would my odds be? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.77/Top 5% at T2. Should I transfer and what would my odds be?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:14 am

3.77 GPA at a school between 50-75, just made the cutoff for Top 5%.

Goals are big law litigation and possibly clerking. Employment numbers indicate that I can get the first of those things if I stay, but likely not the second.

I'm inclined towards staying put since I love my school, but would love input on whether transferring would give me that much of a boost. How high could I reasonably transfer if I maintain this GPA?

I'd be able to pay for school w/o debt in either scenario.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: 3.77/Top 5% at T2. Should I transfer and what would my odds be?

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:33 pm

Just stay put. If you are in the Top 5-10% at like SMU or something, you're fine. Local judge will probs take you (these are competitive regardless of school, so don't count on it in general). You'll probs clinch BL.

Do you have a scholarship? The only reason I'd xfer is if I had 0 money and my school wasn't willing to raise it; and if that's the case, show them your acceptance in Georgetown or w/e and get money.

To answer your question though, I'd think you'd be competitive for most of the T14- it's a crapshoot though, so I'd apply widely.

I'd say you'd safely get into Emory type schools, but no reason to xfer if you are at a SMU/Tulane/Wake kind of school to go to Emory, unless you are just sold on Atlanta.

Anonymous User

Re: 3.77/Top 5% at T2. Should I transfer and what would my odds be?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:09 am

crazywafflez wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:33 pm
Just stay put. If you are in the Top 5-10% at like SMU or something, you're fine. Local judge will probs take you (these are competitive regardless of school, so don't count on it in general). You'll probs clinch BL.

Do you have a scholarship? The only reason I'd xfer is if I had 0 money and my school wasn't willing to raise it; and if that's the case, show them your acceptance in Georgetown or w/e and get money.

To answer your question though, I'd think you'd be competitive for most of the T14- it's a crapshoot though, so I'd apply widely.

I'd say you'd safely get into Emory type schools, but no reason to xfer if you are at a SMU/Tulane/Wake kind of school to go to Emory, unless you are just sold on Atlanta.
This was helpful for affirming my lean, thank you. I have in-state plus a scholly that puts my annual tuition at ~$20k/yr and that's probably not worth giving up. Maybe I'll apply to CCN + Penn and Northwestern and see if the option of that big a jump would change my thinking, but odds are I'll be more than comfortable staying put.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”