Need Some Transfer Advice Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need Some Transfer Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 am

At a T1 school in Texas (think A&M, Baylor, SMU) with over a half-tuition scholarship.
If final grades come back good, would it be smart to transfer to UT Austin?
The dream is a lit boutique like Susman, Kellogg, or Keker. If not, goals are lit boutiques/big-law in Texas.
Obviously, making the above happen requires a clerkship and my schools clerkship numbers are not stellar.
Will it be hard to make the connections necessary (between professors and what not) to secure a clerkship down the line if I transfer?
Losing the scholly doesn't bother me. UT has a super cheap tuition.
I just want to be in a position to make my dreams come true and have all my hard work pay off.

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Need Some Transfer Advice

Post by talons2250 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 am
At a T1 school in Texas (think A&M, Baylor, SMU) with over a half-tuition scholarship.
If final grades come back good, would it be smart to transfer to UT Austin?
The dream is a lit boutique like Susman, Kellogg, or Keker. If not, goals are lit boutiques/big-law in Texas.
Obviously, making the above happen requires a clerkship and my schools clerkship numbers are not stellar.
Will it be hard to make the connections necessary (between professors and what not) to secure a clerkship down the line if I transfer?
Losing the scholly doesn't bother me. UT has a super cheap tuition.
I just want to be in a position to make my dreams come true and have all my hard work pay off.
If you want Susman, Kellogg, or Keker, then you should transfer to the best school that will accept you and get the best grades you possibly can at that school. However, chasing prestige for prestige's sake is not a recipe for ultimate happiness, so perhaps you should do some existential soul-searching.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:10 am

[/quote]

However, chasing prestige for prestige's sake is not a recipe for ultimate happiness, so perhaps you should do some existential soul-searching.
[/quote]

Hilarious that you just had to squeeze that in there at the end. Perhaps some people out there just have bigger goals than you do? Perhaps they just might achieve them? Shocking isn't it?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:25 pm

Depending on your grades, I'd shoot your shot at UT, but also maybe UVA, Duke, or a couple other T14s.
I will say, from what I hear, SMU has pretty good connections and I think if you were top 10% of the class there you'd be able to secure a pretty good clerkship. I assume the same would be true of Baylor in Waco area. I'm not sure how strong A&M is actually yet, but perhaps folks who went there for UG and are judges now may give it some good weight.

I'm not in the elite boutique world, but I'd guess top 5% at SMU with a dist ct clerkship would have the same shot as a top 10-20% person from UT with one, but I could be wrong.

I think places like Susman are hard to get, regardless, and I'd consider staying if it were SMU. If at A&M, I'd probs try and xfer though, personally.

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:24 pm

However, chasing prestige for prestige's sake is not a recipe for ultimate happiness, so perhaps you should do some existential soul-searching.

Hilarious that you just had to squeeze that in there at the end. Perhaps some people out there just have bigger goals than you do? Perhaps they just might achieve them? Shocking isn't it?
You're inferring animosity where there was none. Go, live your dreams, clerk on the Supreme Court, rule the world! I support you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”