Transfer from MSU to U of M? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hamilton.brianr

New

Transfer from MSU to U of M?

Post by hamilton.brianr » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:24 am

Looking for advice on whether I should transfer or not. I am currently at MSU, and I was accepted to transfer into Michigan Law. I am a veteran so both locations are paid for by the GI bill so no money difference. But some things I am considering include being near the top of my class now without much effort to likely needing to work significantly more to just be in the middle. Are there significant advantages in moving from a rank 90 school to rank 10? I'd be losing some strong connections with students and faculty I have made and I have heard original students look down on transfers like they are less than somehow. Not to mention I'd need to move, luckily it's only an hour down the highway, but 1L year is very formative and I feel like I am starting that process over again. Is the advantage worth the extra work and intangible losses I would take? Just looking for things I should be considering.

ignorantfoot96

New

Re: Transfer from MSU to U of M?

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:07 pm

If the cost is equal (aka free) then I would definitely transfer. While top of class at MSU is a phenomenal outcome, it only takes one exam to tank you to below the very tippy top of the class (aka where the competitive jobs are obtainable at MSU). I don't think I was judged too bad for transferring (T3 -> T14) and I really do not regret any part of my decision to transfer.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Yes absolutely trade up in your situation.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:29 am

I'd take the leap.

hamilton.brianr

New

Post by hamilton.brianr » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:14 am

I think I just had cold feet for no particularly good reason. I decided to go. Thanks for your input!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”