Well below median at Chicago Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Well below median at Chicago

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:05 pm

Median is 177 and I'm a 1L at ~175. No interest in BL, clerkships etc. I was not and am not super interested in traditional practice at all and would like to return to my previous career field.

I am pretty depressed here though and am clearly not doing super well academically. I'm obviously not close to academic probation or anything, but I still would like to transfer. Can I go anywhere? UCLA? UCI? I was admitted to both places when I originally applied and regret not attending the first time around. Any advice or feedback on transferring down in general?

cavalier1138

Re: Well below median at Chicago

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:16 pm

I mean, transferring down has absolutely no benefit. So that's a bad idea.

But why are you considering continuing with law school if you've already decided to return to your prior career?

talons2250

Bronze

Post by talons2250 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:05 pm
Median is 177 and I'm a 1L at ~175. No interest in BL, clerkships etc. I was not and am not super interested in traditional practice at all and would like to return to my previous career field.

I am pretty depressed here though and am clearly not doing super well academically. I'm obviously not close to academic probation or anything, but I still would like to transfer. Can I go anywhere? UCLA? UCI? I was admitted to both places when I originally applied and regret not attending the first time around. Any advice or feedback on transferring down in general?
People who graduate well below median from Chicago go on to have perfectly decent (even successful) legal careers. The grades issue is separate from the "do i continue here?" issue, which is separate from the depression issue. Why did you go to law school in the first place? What type of practice were you envisioning? That career goal may still very well be possible. Definitely don't transfer down.

Schedule a meeting with Charles Todd (Dean of Students): https://www.law.uchicago.edu/staff/todd ... ar%20teams. Just email him and set up an in-person meeting. Then explain everything to him. It's literally his job to help students in situations like yours, and he's almost definitely dealt with students in your type of circumstance before. Your situation is more common than you know.

showusyourtorts

New

Post by showusyourtorts » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:12 pm

FWIW, nobody cares about your GPA once you are out of law school. Also, and totally separate from that, the seminars and classes that you'll take in your second and third years are graded on a far more generous grading curve than your 1L classes at Chicago. You'll likely end up with a GPA damn near average, which is excellent coming from Chicago (to the extent that anyone cares about your GPA, which, again, is unlikely).

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:26 pm

Don't transfer down. That's dumb.

Do you want to be a lawyer? If not, probably leave school now to avoid the extra cost of two years of legal education.

If you do, then below median at Chicago is a perfectly fine place to be. Biglaw is still in play as is basically any legal career.

If you really hate Chicago, then maybe study abroad or see if there is an exchange program with another law school.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:26 am

Would you feel differently if your grades were above median at your current law school ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”