Seeking Transfer Advice - Evening Student Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
1406schooltransfer

New

Seeking Transfer Advice - Evening Student

Post by 1406schooltransfer » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:22 pm

Long story short, I just finished my first semester as an evening student at a school floating around 100. I went to a fairly respectable undergrad, had issues early, dropped out, went back, etc., etc. I finished undergrad with a 3.0. A couple years later after a bit of work experience I decided I'd go to my local law school. I didn't take the LSAT even remotely seriously, got a 154 leaving 2 logic games blank, and applied to one school. I had letters of rec from two wonderful undergrad profs: a Yale PHD and a Princeton PHD, which is likely how I got in. I finished with a 3.75 and a B+ in Legal Writing. Despite my decent performance, I wasn't really stepped in law school culture and didn't read up on transferring until a month ago.

I want to get into the best school possible. Is a place like Georgetown even within the realm of possibility if I kill it this spring, or should I just try to get into a decent T1 and be happy with that? I heard they have early action admit and they actually accept part-time applications. I have a political background so I'd hope that would help.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Re: Seeking Transfer Advice - Evening Student

Post by Lawman1865 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:31 pm

1406schooltransfer wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:22 pm
Long story short, I just finished my first semester as an evening student at a school floating around 100. I went to a fairly respectable undergrad, had issues early, dropped out, went back, etc., etc. I finished undergrad with a 3.0. A couple years later after a bit of work experience I decided I'd go to my local law school. I didn't take the LSAT even remotely seriously, got a 154 leaving 2 logic games blank, and applied to one school. I had letters of rec from two wonderful undergrad profs: a Yale PHD and a Princeton PHD, which is likely how I got in. I finished with a 3.75 and a B+ in Legal Writing. Despite my decent performance, I wasn't really stepped in law school culture and didn't read up on transferring until a month ago.

I want to get into the best school possible. Is a place like Georgetown even within the realm of possibility if I kill it this spring, or should I just try to get into a decent T1 and be happy with that? I heard they have early action admit and they actually accept part-time applications. I have a political background so I'd hope that would help.
Can you find out where you stand in your class (e.g. are you top 10%, top 5%, etc). Transferring is even more of a numbers game than the initial admissions, so depending on where you sit, I think there's a decent chance of transferring up. Are you currently on a scholarship? If so, you may want to think about the effects of paying full price for a T1 school that may not offer much better prospects. As far as GT and other T14s, that will depend on your school and where you rank in your class. I would check out the 509 reports of schools you are interested in and you can see their average GPA acceptance, as well as which schools they have accepted transfer students from. I transferred into a T14 school a few years ago from a school around T60 and it ultimately worked out. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions about the process or anything else.

Also just confirming, are you in a 3 year program? If it's a part time evening program, the timeline and credits you've earned might mess with the transfer process a bit, though I admit I don't know much about that.

1406schooltransfer

New

Post by 1406schooltransfer » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:09 pm

Thanks for your response. Apparently I'm too new on the site to even PM people. Yes, I'm an evening student:

Contracts: A; Civ Pro: A-; Legal Research: A; Legal Writing (B+)

The Legal Writing grade is an absolute travesty. I don't want to get into it but the circumstances of how that grade came about involved disgraceful levels of incompetence. I should have a high 3.8.

Unsurprisingly my school still hasn't released rank for the fall semester - full or part time. Based on prior numbers from this school I'd estimate I'm top 5%. I have some scholarships but I'm committed to paying full ticket for an upgrade - even if they offer me more when I tell them about transfer. I'm dead set on getting out of here.

Would love to talk with you about it whenever I unlock the PM function lol

1406schooltransfer

New

Post by 1406schooltransfer » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:21 pm

Lawman1865 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:31 pm

Can you find out where you stand in your class (e.g. are you top 10%, top 5%, etc). Transferring is even more of a numbers game than the initial admissions, so depending on where you sit, I think there's a decent chance of transferring up. Are you currently on a scholarship? If so, you may want to think about the effects of paying full price for a T1 school that may not offer much better prospects. As far as GT and other T14s, that will depend on your school and where you rank in your class. I would check out the 509 reports of schools you are interested in and you can see their average GPA acceptance, as well as which schools they have accepted transfer students from. I transferred into a T14 school a few years ago from a school around T60 and it ultimately worked out. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions about the process or anything else.

Also just confirming, are you in a 3 year program? If it's a part time evening program, the timeline and credits you've earned might mess with the transfer process a bit, though I admit I don't know much about that.
They just sent out class rank. Didn't realize they ranked evening students and full time together. I'm top 10%. Barely missed top 5%.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Post by Lawman1865 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:27 pm

Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:21 pm
Lawman1865 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:31 pm

They just sent out class rank. Didn't realize they ranked evening students and full time together. I'm top 10%. Barely missed top 5%.
I would say if you are in the 5-10% range, you definitely have a shot at moving up substantially to another school. Your primary focus should be on doing as well as possible this semester and not letting that drop too much. Assuming it stays in that range, I think GT is a decent possibility, or perhaps a school like GW, which I would think you'd have a very strong shot at.

As I said, try and do your best this semester. You could take a look at some of the top schools and see what their 509 report shows, and which ones accepted the most transfers last year (and even better, have previously accepted a student from your school as a transfer). I know GT is absolutely the most transfer-friendly out of the T-14, and based on your class rank I think it's a pretty decent possibility, provided that I don't know how the evening student aspect would play into it... I know a few people in my class who transferred to schools like Emory/GW/Fordham and they seemed to enjoy their experiences, though I admittedly don't know what they are up to these days.

This forum will generally emphasize (not incorrectly) that job prospects should be the number 1 factor, so I would just keep that in the back of your mind, since plenty of students transfer into new schools and get the same job (or a worse job) than you might get graduating at your existing school. It sounds like you are committed to moving and that's fine (I ultimately made the decision due to wanting to be in the northeast and wanting to open opportunities/leave my hometown) but just keep it in mind as you go through the process.

Access

New

Post by Access » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:37 pm

You gotta find out if you'll be treated like a full 1L for the purpose of transferring. Most schools require a certain amount of credits or a curriculum equivalent to their 1L, which means that part time students often cannot transfer until they have 2 years of part time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”