Any advice on my chances at T14 and T6 schools? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any advice on my chances at T14 and T6 schools?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:26 pm

3.9X at a lower T2 school. 5-10 years WE before LS. School doesn't issue class ranks until spring but curve is 3.3 and previous years 10% is ~3.7, so I'd estimate I'm top 1-3% right now.

I am primarily interested in NW and Chi, but would also consider other T14s. I would apply to Chi ED program.

I am primarily looking for chance estimates right now, but appreciate any advice on if transferring sounds like it might be a good option for me. Really want BL with exit options either in-house or into academia, if at all possible. Also would love to clerk. I was a hardcore splitter and had no possibility to apply t14 as a 0L, so this wasn't something I even thought was in the cards for me at the time, but now that I'm realizing it might be an option I would love to pursue it. Not sure if that's a compelling enough motivation.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Any advice on my chances at T14 and T6 schools?

Post by crazywafflez » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:59 pm

Good shot at the T14- NW I think you'll get into. Not sure about UChi, but I think still good odds. You'll get biglaw from NW and have good exit options either way.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:19 am

I agree. Should get into NU if you maintain this GPA. My guess is you have a strong chance at Chicago as well. If you're interested in NYC corporate and your T2 school places about ten percent of the class into biglaw, you need not transfer especially if you're giving up on a big scholarship. I worked for several years before law school and ended up transferring to a top school myself. Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions. Goodluck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:22 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:19 am
I agree. Should get into NU if you maintain this GPA. My guess is you have a strong chance at Chicago as well. If you're interested in NYC corporate and your T2 school places about ten percent of the class into biglaw, you need not transfer especially if you're giving up on a big scholarship. I worked for several years before law school and ended up transferring to a top school myself. Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions. Goodluck!
Hi, I am not able to send you a DM because my account is new, but thank you for this reply. I am on a very strong scholarship, but would be prepared to pay sticker at Chicago or NW if I get in. I think the flexibility and long-term career options would make it worth it for me.

However, the biggest thing that is holding me back right now is the fear that I go through the transfer process, don't get into NW or Chicago (or any of the other T14 schools that I can talk myself into applying to), and then remain at my current school but possibly lose my LR spot and any TA opportunities. I am in a very strong position to grade on to LR right now. I also have 2 classes that I got A+ in and would love to TA. I am unsure if applying to transfer waives your LR spot, and I am not able to find this out online (it seems my school keeps this somewhat hidden or doesn't publicize it at least). Similarly, I'm not sure if asking a professor to write your LOR burns that bridge entirely for you to TA for them, but I think TA applications are due before I would hear back from transfer schools so that might be difficult anyways.

Do you have any input on if the possible benefit of jumping up to T14 is worth losing LR and TA opportunities? I could live without those things if I have some sense that my career will still be fine if I can graduate latin honors, possibly with a secondary journal, moot court, etc. . . But if LR/TA app is going to be a big deal at my current T2 for my career path, then maybe I don't want to take the chance.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:38 pm

In most cases, I'd think that you'd apply to TA/do LR before transfer acceptances go out. Assume you won't get in anywhere, apply at your current school, and then if you do transfer, you withdraw from LR/TAing and it's fine. No one can stop you for applying from those things on the basis that you might possibly transfer.

That said, I don't think TAing makes one iota of difference to your future opportunities (not even really academia, which cares about your publishing record). I think LR can help, and can help a little more than a secondary journal, but again, I don't think you'd have to give up your chance at that to apply to transfer.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Post by BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:39 am

nixy wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:38 pm
In most cases, I'd think that you'd apply to TA/do LR before transfer acceptances go out. Assume you won't get in anywhere, apply at your current school, and then if you do transfer, you withdraw from LR/TAing and it's fine. No one can stop you for applying from those things on the basis that you might possibly transfer.

That said, I don't think TAing makes one iota of difference to your future opportunities (not even really academia, which cares about your publishing record). I think LR can help, and can help a little more than a secondary journal, but again, I don't think you'd have to give up your chance at that to apply to transfer.
Completely agree. Nothing to add.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”