Transfer from T30 to CCN - Top 3% Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Majoseph22

New

Transfer from T30 to CCN - Top 3%

Post by Majoseph22 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:52 am

I have a very difficult question. I have been accepted to CCN as a transfer. I have a high GPA at my old school (3.88), received 35 screening interviews at my old school OCI all with V100 firms, and I already have a SA offer with a V20 firm for next summer. My school only ranks up to 15% before graduation, but my GPA is above the cut-off for the top 3% for the highest honor granted upon graduation.
Going to CCN would mean losing a 28k scholarship, which would make a cost difference of 74k extra debt, plus 63k extra expense of my own savings. Plus, I would lose Law Review, and I have a shot at graduating in 2 years (I am eligible for 28 credits in my old school because I already have a law degree from my home country), which I would lose if I transfer to CCN. I am considering the money I would save in this early graduation in the numbers I made of my extra debt/expenses.
My goal is corporate/big law.
Is the transfer worth it?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Transfer from T30 to CCN - Top 3%

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 pm

This is really a you call. Personally, I wouldn't transfer, as you've already gotten basically everything you would from CCN. You've got LR, the SA, and a plethora of support and accolades to rocket you to biglaw. Don't really see a point in spending the extra 100K in loans and interest etc. when you can already achieve your goals from your current school.
I'd stay put unless you have some family emergency or something that requires you to go; or, if you strongly dislike your current school or something like that, I could see a reason for jumping.
But, honestly, I'd just stay put.

Majoseph22

New

Post by Majoseph22 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm

Thank you for your advice. I am strongly leaned towards staying. I would graduate in 1 year less, with considerably less debt, and my current interviews are comparable to those at CCN. The reason I am thinking about the transfer is the long-term implications, like lateralling into a different firm, and the fact that CCN is at NY where I intend to practice (and where my current SA offer and interviews are from). The idea of lateralling is just a distant idea, it is my intention to make career within a single firm (and my current offer seems to offer strong career opportunities), but you never know.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:44 pm

Majoseph22 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:16 pm
Thank you for your advice. I am strongly leaned towards staying. I would graduate in 1 year less, with considerably less debt, and my current interviews are comparable to those at CCN. The reason I am thinking about the transfer is the long-term implications, like lateralling into a different firm, and the fact that CCN is at NY where I intend to practice (and where my current SA offer and interviews are from). The idea of lateralling is just a distant idea, it is my intention to make career within a single firm (and my current offer seems to offer strong career opportunities), but you never know.
After you've been in BigLaw for a couple years, your school matters a lot less than what you've been doing for your career. The CCN name has diminishing returns over your career, and I think would only help you at this point in trying to get unicorn jobs (law professor, political appointments, etc.).
The fact that CCN is in NY also doesn't matter much because you already have an SA offer in New York. You'll be working in New York. There could be some networking/internship advantages of being in New York for a couple extra years, and maybe have a family that you would rather uproot now rather than later. But the benefits of transferring to CCN are marginal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”