Should I transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tigergoods

New

Should I transfer?

Post by Tigergoods » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:43 am

Hello,

I am in the midst of deciding from transferring from USNWR school rank 126 to 25. The school I would be transferring from has a solid employment rate and is highly respected in the area. I do have a possible track to gain employment with big law or with a medium size firm. I am ranked top 15% of my class and hope to pry into the top 10% if I stayed. This school has also offered to increase my scholarship to cover about 60% of tuition and is located in a large city.

If I transferred, the school I would transfer too has an excellent employment rate and even more opportunities for Big law or medium firm employment. However, I am unsure that starting over may hurt my chances. Additionally, I would receive no scholarships to cover tuition and the school is located in a large city.

I am stuck between choosing between these two and would appreciate any genuine advice and counsel. Thank you.

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Re: Should I transfer?

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:48 pm

The 126th ranked school is either Santa Clara, Seattle, or University of St. Thomas, and the 25th ranked school is either Arizona or Alabama. I don't see how any of those 126th place schools offer you much employment potential in the Top 15% of the class. So, you probably should transfer, because any of those schools are hugely risky, but...where do you want to end up? There's really no overlap geographically between those schools, except maybe some "Southwestern" overlap between Arizona Santa Clara, but I'm really stretching it. If you go to Arizona, you're getting a job in Arizona (maybe New Mexico or California, but probably Arizona), and if you go to Alabama, you're getting a job in Alabama (maybe Mississippi, but probably Alabama). So think that through.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”