Spring start 1L Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Spring start 1L Transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:23 pm

I am a full time spring admit student at a low T3 high T4 depending on the year. It's in the region I want to work in and I have a full ride so there are benifits to staying. That said I did fairly well my first semester ending with a GPA north of 3.8 and top 5% and I'm considering branching out for transfer to explore career opportunities in Big Law or the Federal Government.

My goal schools are Northwestern and Georgetown however the problem is as a wierd spring admit my transfer timeline is all messed up. If I get accepted to Georgetown they will take me as a January 2022 start but if I don't accept in January my transfer window closes as I will have to many credits. If I get accepted at Northwestern I can't start till September 2022 but I lose my spring 2022 semester because they will only take 1L grades.

I have strong softs that are specific to NU and Georgetown and my school sends a couple students a year to both so I feel confident I will get into one or the other. That said, Northwestern would be significantly better for me personally as I grew up in Chicago. However losing a semester and the fact that in order to wait for Northwestern I would have to shut the door on Georgetown makes me very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any insights or suggestions for this process? Stats: >3.8, <5%, T3/T4 1L2 (Spring Admit), Softs: Veteran, National Security Work Experience, Corporate Work Experience

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Spring start 1L Transfer

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:12 pm

This seems like a highly specific question and situation. If I understand this correctly: if you go to Gtown, you don't have to do any extra time. If you go to NW you've gotta do an extra semester and you'd prefer to be in Chicago.
If you are from Chi, I think getting back with a gtown degree won't be impossible by any means. Obviously, NW does substantially better in the market though.
The question just becomes are you willing to pay an extra 20-30k plus have an additional semester of school to get your prime market and the better school. I think the price differential is in NW's favor, as I'd pick it if we were just comparing 20-30k more compared to Gtown and I wanted to be in Chi- even if I didn't want to be in Chi I'd most likely still take NW at those cost differences. However, the extra semester grinds me, so I'm not sure how I'd come down. I think either is a defensible option- do you want to finish sooner and more quickly garner your salary? Or take a bit longer, pay more, but have a secure path in your desired market? Only you can make that calculation.

Anonymous User

Re: Spring start 1L Transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:07 pm

Yeah you've pretty much summerized what everyone else has told me. The kicker that makes it even is I wouldn't mind staying in the DC market. I'm just trying to see if anyone has any fresh perspectives that could swing me one way or another.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”