chance me, please! Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SHS104

New

chance me, please!

Post by SHS104 » Sun May 23, 2021 4:57 pm

CA school, 100-130 ranked
Straight As in the Fall, expecting straight As or A-minuses for spring.
lsat 162
1L SA position lined up
3 great LORs (I imagine)
want to be in bay area--would love Berkeley or obvs SLS.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: chance me, please!

Post by crazywafflez » Sun May 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Sorry, maybe I'm old and am a poor reader, but all the same, are you applying to transfer or to law school in general?
If you're applying to law school, first, I'd recommend you take a year off between law and undergrad- get your feet wet, if you can, save up some money- go work at Kroger, safeway, nissan, whatever, and get some life or job experience and see if law is really what you want to do! Try and shadow a lawyer or work as a paralegal/ legal assistant in a firm to just see what attorneys do. That said, if your UGPA is around a 3.75 and you've got a 162 LSAT you'll get into most T1 law schools (in your neck of the woods, UCI or UCD; certainly pepperdine, UCH or Loyola with good scholarships), and get decent scholarships to some of them as well as fullrides to T2 ones. And i'd only go to schools like Pepperdine or Loyola for substantial scholarships (i.e. you'd be less than 60k in debt going to them- and I wouldn't spend too much more on UCI or UCD) I don't think you'll breach the WashU/USC/UCLA/Vandy/UT caliber (although, if you have a 4.0 it is possible), but wouldn't suggest going to these schools unless you get decent scholarships. I don't think you'll get into a T14 school unless you've got an Ace up your sleeve (Olympic athlete, Rhodes Scholar, etc).
If you are talking about transferring, it'll all depend on your rank at your current school (which, if I understand, is a T3 law school): I'd be totally guessing but I think if you are top 10%ish in your class at a T3 in Cali you'd be able to transfer to UCLA/USC- top 1-5% Cal or S would be my guess.

In sum, if applying for law first year, no, you likely will not get into UCLA/USC, and almost certainly not Cal or S- however, if you are a URM or have some kind of amazing soft, it isn't an impossible shot.
If you are trying to xfer it'll just depend on where you are in the class/ your rank.

SHS104

New

Post by SHS104 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:31 pm

Sorry, no--this was in the transfers forum, so i assumed it was obvious. I'm a 1L applying to transfer. And I'm basically top 1-2% of my class.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 24, 2021 5:13 pm

SHS104 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:31 pm
Sorry, no--this was in the transfers forum, so i assumed it was obvious.
I think there was some confusion because you included your LSAT score, which doesn't affect transfer decisions.

Assuming you maintain your current performance, you should have as good a chance as anyone from your school at transferring to Stanford or Berkeley. But that said, you're talking about schools that take one or two transfer students a year from any given T2 (if they take any T2 transfers at all), so it's far from a sure thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”