Worth it to transfer from CCN to H? (academia) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Worth it to transfer from CCN to H? (academia)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2021 4:50 pm

At a CCN and wondering whether it is worth it to transfer to H (don't have the grades for YS, so not applying). Interested in academia at some point down the road, which is a major reason why I am contemplating transferring. Just to address the inevitable comments about giving up connections and familiarity with a school and having to adjust to a new environment, etc.: I absolutely resent the way my current school has treated us for the past year. 1L year is awful for everyone, and even more so in a pandemic, but my school did little to help my class survive lol (think: classes at 5/6am for 4 days every week). Guess what I'm saying is, it's not like I have some huge sentimental attachment to my current school and, since I've been remote, I don't have particularly strong connections with any of my 1L profs.

One concern I do have is related to the upcoming EIP. While I would like to do academia in the long run, I am planning to work in BigLaw for at least a few years before heading back to do a PhD. Would I be disadvantaged in EIP if I go from, say, top 30% at CCN to a transfer at HLS? Want a big NYC firm (e.g. Cravath, DPW, Paul Weiss) and I don't know if it might actually be harder to get an offer as a CCN student who transferred to H...but wants to go back to NYC after graduation. Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

TortiousTrotsky

New

Re: Worth it to transfer from CCN to H? (academia)

Post by TortiousTrotsky » Thu May 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:50 pm
At a CCN and wondering whether it is worth it to transfer to H (don't have the grades for YS, so not applying). Interested in academia at some point down the road, which is a major reason why I am contemplating transferring. Just to address the inevitable comments about giving up connections and familiarity with a school and having to adjust to a new environment, etc.: I absolutely resent the way my current school has treated us for the past year. 1L year is awful for everyone, and even more so in a pandemic, but my school did little to help my class survive lol (think: classes at 5/6am for 4 days every week). Guess what I'm saying is, it's not like I have some huge sentimental attachment to my current school and, since I've been remote, I don't have particularly strong connections with any of my 1L profs.

One concern I do have is related to the upcoming EIP. While I would like to do academia in the long run, I am planning to work in BigLaw for at least a few years before heading back to do a PhD. Would I be disadvantaged in EIP if I go from, say, top 30% at CCN to a transfer at HLS? Want a big NYC firm (e.g. Cravath, DPW, Paul Weiss) and I don't know if it might actually be harder to get an offer as a CCN student who transferred to H...but wants to go back to NYC after graduation. Would love to hear your thoughts! :)
Not trying to rain on your parade, but HLS is a bit of a stretch from low Stone, no? As I’m sure you’re aware, the 25/50/75 for HLS last year was 3.82/3.95/4.00. And last year was a bit of an anomaly; if you look at prior years, the 25th percentile is usually closer to 3.9.

But anyways, you should feel free to shoot your shot. You can get NY biglaw at either school. I don’t know much about legal academia other than to say that the typical pathways (SCOTUS clerk, Bristow, etc.) will be difficult without stellar grades.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Re: Worth it to transfer from CCN to H? (academia)

Post by KPUSN07 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Sounds like a rough 1L year (5/6am classes seem extreme) - I feel for you. Yet your 2L and 3L years will be vastly different IMO. I'd stay and shoot your shot at a big law NYC firm the current school; additionally, CCN will absolutely enable you to achieve your academia goal. Do you have a scholarship at the current school?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”