T1 with Big Law vs. Georgetown Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay at T40 with secure BL job or transfer to GULC

GULC transfer
21%
T40
79%

Total votes: 19

Stormfiat@live.fr

New

T1 with Big Law vs. Georgetown Transfer

Post by Stormfiat@live.fr » Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Hi everybody,

I’m in a particular situation: I can get my degree from a T40 in CA or transfer to GULC. I already secured LA big law for the summer. My situation is unique (can’t explain without risking to identify myself) because I could graduate in one year if I stay at my T40 or graduate in two years if I transfer to GULC.

I think I want SoCal Big Law after graduation but I like the idea of no geographical restrictions and being able to move from city to city. My summer firm was my first choice.

Do you think it’s worth paying one extra year sticker at GULC or does the school name just not matter anymore after a few years of practice in Big Law?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: T1 with Big Law vs. Georgetown Transfer

Post by crazywafflez » Sun May 09, 2021 10:23 am

I'm inclined to tell you to stay at the T1 in Cali if your goals are socal biglaw, you've already gotten an SA or something equivalent with them, and you can somehow graduate early (guessing this was some kind of 3+3 program and you were able to start early or something, idk). Do you have a scholarship to your current school? If you do, that seals the deal, for me. If you don't, I still think that cali school may be the better option just cause of what you save. I'll let someone more knowledgeable than myself take the wheel here, but taking what you said here at face value, I'd stay put.

Stormfiat@live.fr

New

Post by Stormfiat@live.fr » Mon May 10, 2021 5:48 am

Thank you for the advice. Current school is also sticker due to special circumstances (which I'd rather not disclose to remain anonymous). Prestige, geographic mobility, and job prospects outside of current firm (in case something goes wrong) is what worries me. How much does school name really matter after a few years of work in BL?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon May 10, 2021 9:39 am

Stormfiat@live.fr wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:48 am
Thank you for the advice. Current school is also sticker due to special circumstances (which I'd rather not disclose to remain anonymous). Prestige, geographic mobility, and job prospects outside of current firm (in case something goes wrong) is what worries me. How much does school name really matter after a few years of work in BL?
Does school name matter? Yes. As I'm sure you know, otherwise you wouldn't be thinking about this. Does it matter after working a few years? To some, yes, but it certainly matters less. You will be locked out of places with you T1 degree- but with the right grades you won't be locked out of most of them - and to me there's very little difference between some place like K&E vs. Waller or Butler or Baker.
In sum, I think it makes a bit of a difference to employers if you have a gtown degree vs. pepperdine, but not a world of a difference if you both were working biglaw already, especially in socal- but personally, I'd stay, since you got the result you wanted and going to gtown is going to cost you basically 120k; but I'm fairly debt-averse. I'd also consider applying anywnys and seeing if your school will give you a scholarship to stay.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:33 am

In addition to everything wafflez said (which is correct), someone should address this theme:
Stormfiat@live.fr wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:24 pm
I think I want SoCal Big Law after graduation but I like the idea of no geographical restrictions and being able to move from city to city.
Not having (as many) geographical restrictions based on your school is not the same as being able to constantly move. If you're in private practice, you need to be admitted to a new bar every time you move states, which starts to become expensive and pointless.

You can certainly move during your career, but I don't think being a lawyer really promotes a nomadic lifestyle.

Stormfiat@live.fr

New

Post by Stormfiat@live.fr » Tue May 11, 2021 4:40 am

Thank you very much for your brainpower. It certainly is a dilemma but I am leaning towards staying at the T40. Do you believe that visiting a T6 as a 3L would be the best of both worlds?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”