What are my chances T2->T20 Vandy/UTexas/BU/GT Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jos10

New

What are my chances T2->T20 Vandy/UTexas/BU/GT

Post by jos10 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:24 pm

Top 20% after 1L at a T75, Engineering/IP background with a couple of years of solid professional experience, Splitting the summer between a federal judicial internship and a reputable small local firm doing complex litigation and class actions. What are my chances of transferring to T20? is it worth it? currently no scholarship and wanting to get as close to big law as possible.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: What are my chances T2->T20 Vandy/UTexas/BU/GT

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:42 am

I think you've got a good chance- you should also toss in apps to T14 schools like Gtown.
You should transfer unless your school offers to give you a fullride or darn near it and it is in your desired market (you need both those factors to stay in my opinion). But apply to transfer and then if you want to stay, negotiate with that acceptance from UT. I'd also encourage you to apply to BC if you're applying to BU. They are peer schools in Boston. But yeah, apply broadly, since you're on no scholarship, you have nothing to lose really in my opinion and you should get out and into UT/UCLA/USC/Vandy/WashU whatever.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:12 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:42 am
I think you've got a good chance- you should also toss in apps to T14 schools like Gtown.
You should transfer unless your school offers to give you a fullride or darn near it and it is in your desired market (you need both those factors to stay in my opinion). But apply to transfer and then if you want to stay, negotiate with that acceptance from UT. I'd also encourage you to apply to BC if you're applying to BU. They are peer schools in Boston. But yeah, apply broadly, since you're on no scholarship, you have nothing to lose really in my opinion and you should get out and into UT/UCLA/USC/Vandy/WashU whatever.
Would also definitely throw applications in at GW and WashU

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri May 21, 2021 7:40 am

crazywafflez wrote:
BC can get you at least as far as BU. Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn’t know the boston market and is drunk off the USNWR kool-aid, so yes agree if going BU then go BC as well. Or even maybe just do BC.

This all being said, are you sure it’s worth it? Where do you sit in the class now at your current spot and, historically (maybe last year excluded), how do those people typically place?

Suffice it to say that until you start looking at UMich, Cornell etc., going to these other schools (UT, USC, Gtown) will still be a gamble to get biglaw and as a transfer you’ll find yourself at a disadvantage initially. And you likely won’t get any merit aid but you probably know that.

jos10

New

Post by jos10 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:46 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:40 am
crazywafflez wrote:
BC can get you at least as far as BU. Anybody who thinks otherwise doesn’t know the boston market and is drunk off the USNWR kool-aid, so yes agree if going BU then go BC as well. Or even maybe just do BC.

This all being said, are you sure it’s worth it? Where do you sit in the class now at your current spot and, historically (maybe last year excluded), how do those people typically place?

Suffice it to say that until you start looking at UMich, Cornell etc., going to these other schools (UT, USC, Gtown) will still be a gamble to get biglaw and as a transfer you’ll find yourself at a disadvantage initially. And you likely won’t get any merit aid but you probably know that.
I'm in Michigan. Unfortunately, there are only so many Big Law firms here. Can't help but think anything in the top 20 with an IP background and my past experience will give me a better shot at actual Big Law. Also, I would like to have some mobility, I've lived here my whole life and would like to live somewhere like Texas for a while as I'm sure I'll have to return to Michigan at some point later in life. Looking more like top 5-10% of my class now, but again, only 2 or 3 actual Big Law firms in Michigan that are more like satellite offices and unlikely to hire from each graduating class and a couple regional Big Law firms. Feel like moving and upgrading is in my best interests. But maybe you're right. I see myself starting a business or getting into real estate more than I see myself making partner. At the very least maybe I can leverage an offer for some scholarship money from my current institution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”