Y transfer clerkship experience Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Y transfer clerkship experience

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:02 pm

At a CCN and have grades such that transferring to Y might be a realistic option. Interested to hear how clerkship recruitment out of Y fares for transfers. This means ability to forge professor connections, being able to apply to a certain class of judges prior to matriculating / after one semester of Y grades / on plan vs. "regular" Y students, and outcomes. I'm also FedSoc so was especially wondering if I'd be forsaking the "advantage" of those connections usually leading to earlier clerkships if those judges (esp. feeders) are going to want to see Y grades before they would consider me.

nixy

Gold

Re: Y transfer clerkship experience

Post by nixy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:12 pm

If you have high enough grades at CCN to transfer to Yale, why would you want to transfer? What doors are realistically closed to you?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 pm

I don't really see a point in transferring here. You'll be fine staying put- unless you've got some intense reason to go to Y, I don't really see a point giving up your connections, new rent etc- especially if you're going for fedsoc clerkships- you'll be competitive where you're at. I could be wrong though, I just don't see a huge reason for going to Y when you'll get substantially the same result from CC with your grades (unless you just think you're gonna dramatically drop, you have another reason for going to Y etc). It isn't a terrible decision, I just think you're fine by staying put (especially if you have a scholly- if you don't, I guess you'd only need to worry about giving up your connections and such).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:51 pm

OP. Besides personal reasons, I guess my main ones would be:

1. Haven’t really built up professor connections beyond grades through office hours, RA, etc. Obviously connections in terms of friends would be hard to lose but trying to be level-headed about it.

2. No-curve H grading vs. my current school’s “real” grades really appeals to me, in terms of focusing my relationship-building and effort on a couple of key subjects instead of playing whack-a-mole trying to connect relationships with classes I might do really well in on a more granular grading scale.

3. I’m assuming the Y name is going to matter for some feeder-level judges.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:57 pm

I think just go with what you're more comfortable with then. It isn't going to hurt you to xfer to Y it sounds like, so whatever you're comfortable with. Idk enough about xfer for negotiating for a higher scholarship (although, I have heard of it), perhaps you could consider that as well. But if you don't have any money from CC, were remote/didn't make a ton of connections, and feel more comfortable taking the future options with Y, just go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”