With sub 3 UGPA prevent transferring to T14? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

With sub 3 UGPA prevent transferring to T14?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:19 am

I know this has been asked before and hardly comes up now, but how much does undergrad GPA matter for law school transfer?

I know that like 0Ls, 2Ls also have to upload their college transcripts, along with 1L grades and prof recommendations. So how much do the Ugpa matter? Will that be an important soft?

I know the great Arrow said UGPA dont matter in transfers but Arrow was a UCLA 1L. Most likely they had terrific or at least above average stats in UG. This question probably doesnt apply to them.

This question is not for someone who graduated with 3.2 odd and now got a 4.0 1L at a T1. This is for those who slayed 1L grades but had terrible Ugpa (sub 3)

I am not asking for myself for once, but for a friend who's at a TT ranked 70-80 (think American, Brooklyn, Loyola etc) .

She did poorly at college (sub 3) but aced the Lsat and got into a decent T2 and have got top 1L grades. Now she is eyeing GULC, CLC and GW.

I ask coz one person on a reddit sub told me how they had 1L grades (top 2%) at a Tier 1 school yet couldnt transfer to their target school. They think this is due to their sub 2.5 UGPA.

Any anecdotes ? Any body managed to transfer to T14 from their school despite having sub 3 in UG?

Do 2Ls who have amazing 1L again have to address low UGPA in their PS? Again go through the motions of adding GPA addendum?

Sorry if I am bothering.

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Re: With sub 3 UGPA prevent transferring to T14?

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 pm

It might hurt you at the margins, but it won't make much of a difference. My GPA was just barely above 3.0 and I managed to get in to a majority of the T14.

kook

New

Post by kook » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:14 pm

I had a sub 3.0 UGPA and got into GULC as a transfer from a low t2 school. I did not include an addendum or even address it, just focused on reasons for wanting to transfer to the new school in the PS.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 pm

I don’t think UGPA matters really for transfers - first, schools don’t have to report it for any purpose or ranking or anything, right? So it doesn’t affect them. Second, the role of UGPA and LSAT is to predict your ability and to succeed in law school, but that’s moot once you have actual law school grades that actually show that you have succeeded in law school.

I can’t say it won’t ever have any impact on the margins, like deciding between two otherwise identical candidates, but I don’t think it’s very significant at all.

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:30 pm

I got into a GULC with just under a 2.9 UGPA. I did very well in 1L. I think all they care about is 1L grades and having a compelling reason for wanting to transfer.
You also have to keep statistics in mind. GULC and Harvard take the most transfers each year. I got wait listed at some other T1 schools as a transfer but they only take 1 or 2 transfer students each year. Look at the 509 reports.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:36 pm

I had a sub 3.0 and it did not preclude me from being accepted into a T14

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”