do schools accept transfer applications on a rolling basis? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
studentstudy

New

do schools accept transfer applications on a rolling basis?

Post by studentstudy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:51 am

Should I submit my transfer application as early as possible just like my law school application? thank you.

cavalier1138

Re: do schools accept transfer applications on a rolling basis?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:17 am

I think the timing for transfer apps depends on the school. GULC has an early acceptance program, but I don't think every school does. Check the websites for the specific schools you're applying to, and I'm sure they spell out the timeline.

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:57 am

My impression when I applied was that most schools tended to release their decisions all at once, so there wasn't much advantage to applying early (except for the Early Action programs at GULC and Chicago).

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:06 pm

The other reason it doesn't matter is that transfers don't get money, so you don't need to apply early to avoid them running out of scholarships.

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:37 pm

Transfers can get money at GULC if you take out the maximum in federal student loans allowed per academic year.

Also yes I think there may be an advantage to applying early to schools that have "early" admissions.

I got in early to GULC. I was accepted 5/2 or somewhere around then. Knowing early May where you are going can be a big advantage if you are moving cities or doing the write on competition. I feel bad for the people who find out late July and have to scramble.

Some schools won't consider your application until second semester grades come in. There it may be less important.

Make sure your personal statement for why you want to *transfer* is solid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 am

Transfer2021 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:37 pm
Transfers can get money at GULC if you take out the maximum in federal student loans allowed per academic year.
When people refer to "getting money" from schools, they're referring to scholarships. Everyone can take out federal loans, but that isn't "getting money" so much as it's "taking on debt."

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:03 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 am
Transfer2021 wrote:
When people refer to "getting money" from schools, they're referring to scholarships. Everyone can take out federal loans, but that isn't "getting money" so much as it's "taking on debt."
Although it is not clear, the poster may have meant that maximizing one's federal student loans is a prerequisite to being eligible for grant money at Georgetown.

ignorantfoot96

New

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:54 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Transfer2021 wrote:
If you take out full FAFSA at Georgetown then you can qualify for need-based aid. So, not really a scholarship, but also not loans (well you have loans, but not full-freight loans)

studentstudy

New

Post by studentstudy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 am

Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:57 am
My impression when I applied was that most schools tended to release their decisions all at once, so there wasn't much advantage to applying early (except for the Early Action programs at GULC and Chicago).
Thank you for the information! So for GULC or Chicago, does it make a difference if I submit my applications way before the deadline of the Early Decision program? Or if it is ok if I submit my early decision application by the deadline?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bcwbcwbcw

New

Post by bcwbcwbcw » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:47 pm

I disagree — can’t speak to GULC or Chi, but for non-early transfer, most T6 trickle out transfer decisions over a period of weeks in June and July (like 2-4 big waves with inevitably some stragglers). You can search this forum to find transfer decision threads in prior years and get a feel for timing. Bottom line, I don’t think it’s accurate to say decisions come all at once.

My gut feeling is that there’s not a huge advantage to being super (like first day apps open up) early. I have no data to back this up, but I got the sense that apps are reviewed roughly in the order received (FIFO)...e.g., I submitted my apps in the middle of the application window and received my decisions in the middle of the decision period.

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm

studentstudy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 am
Pennoyer v. Meh wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:57 am
Thank you for the information! So for GULC or Chicago, does it make a difference if I submit my applications way before the deadline of the Early Decision program? Or if it is ok if I submit my early decision application by the deadline?
I applied to GULC at the deadline and got in, applied to UC at the deadline and got deferred (eventually got in). So it probably doesn't matter, but I'd say don't delay if you don't have to?

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 am

CanadianWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:03 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:
Transfer2021 wrote:
Although it is not clear, the poster may have meant that maximizing one's federal student loans is a prerequisite to being eligible for grant money at Georgetown.
Yes, this is what I meant. Most law schools tell transfer students you have to pay full tuition no matter what. One of the factors many people balance when transferring is abandoning the very good financial package they have at their 1L school. So, as a transfer to GULC, the school offers need-based aid if you have evidence of federal loans. I consider need-based aid "getting money," as most law school students can show evidence of need (not many law students have $180K in their back pocket).

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am

Transfer2021 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 am
CanadianWolf wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:03 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:
Transfer2021 wrote:
Yes, this is what I meant. Most law schools tell transfer students you have to pay full tuition no matter what. One of the factors many people balance when transferring is abandoning the very good financial package they have at their 1L school. So, as a transfer to GULC, the school offers need-based aid if you have evidence of federal loans. I consider need-based aid "getting money," as most law school students can show evidence of need (not many law students have $180K in their back pocket).
So how much need-based aid does a transfer actually get?

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:59 pm

I don't know but the financial aid office at Georgetown would certainly have ballpark figures if you inquire.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”