How to answer the "Why did you transfer" question for OCI Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessM101

New

How to answer the "Why did you transfer" question for OCI

Post by jessM101 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:56 pm

Transfer students (from a T1 to a T14)--how did you answer the "Why did you transfer" question for OCI?

RandomInternetPerson

New

Re: How to answer the "Why did you transfer" question for OCI

Post by RandomInternetPerson » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:22 pm

Is there an honest answer? That likely is the best place to start. I presume it was for a reason correct?

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:46 pm

"So I'd have a better chance at interviewing at firms like [insert firm name]" is both honest and inoffensive

RandomInternetPerson

New

Post by RandomInternetPerson » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:56 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:46 pm
"So I'd have a better chance at interviewing at firms like [insert firm name]" is both honest and inoffensive
Assuming the firm example is theirs and not their competitor I suppose. :wink:

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:38 pm

There was a broader selection of law firms from [such and such] city at OCI. Better career prospects. Better networking. etc.

Attorneys get all of the above. Many of them probably traded up in some way, too, in their careers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lstdnt

New

Post by lstdnt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:51 am

I tied it to the practice area a few years ago when I was going through OCI. I said something like, “I want to practice in X law and felt like my former law school didn’t provide me with an opportunity to take classes in this area. I’m enrolled in X classes at my new school and also was accepted to X journal.” I would then try to pivot into how that law firm is known for X law or whatever. I think most interviewers understand why you transferred (prestige), but want to get a better sense of your “story.”

janereacher

Bronze

Post by janereacher » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:09 am

Most of my interviewers didn’t even ask. A few were transfers themselves. Everyone knows the reasons. Plus, they were all alums of my new school and were already inclined to think highly of the school. When they did ask, I mentioned making a geographic change and the opportunities available at my transfer school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”