Should I Transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I Transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:03 pm

Hello. I have been struggling to make this decision for a while now.

I currently go to Santa Clara Law and am on the board for 4 different organizations and I am a member of the High Tech Law Journal.

I recently applied to transfer to Chapman Law and have been accepted. They will cost me pretty much the same because Santa Clara refused to give me money and transfer don't receive anything. They are also very similarly ranked since SCU keeps slipping.

I am trying to decide which law school I want to attend, especially since everything is online now because of the pandemic.

The reason I want to leave Santa Clara is because the administration is terrible and doesn't seem to care about it's students. The faculty are great but it doesn't seem to outweigh the selective treatment the administration has.

I am wondering what the affects would be of transferring? I know I would lose friends and all but is it worth losing the positions I have now to start over at another school?

I am leaning towards going into Entertainment law which would be a no brainer to go to Chapman but I have only worked in non-profit/public interest work for the past few years.

Any recommendations or insights would be very helpful and appreciated. I just can't decide on where "to go" online.

zg43

New

Re: Should I Transfer?

Post by zg43 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:45 pm

I don't know anything about either of these schools, but it sounds like you would be giving up a lot (including GPA if it's high/decent), for (???). Who gives a shit about the administration, you won't be dealing with them after two years anyway. Also, most administrations at schools outside of the T6-T10 are not super nice/helpful--it's a numbers game for them, and that's all you really are to them: a number. I wouldn't give up friends/routine/familiarity/board positions/faculty connections to go to a school that would give you the same outcome. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me, actually.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:09 pm

I'm also struggling to understand why the administration factors into your decision at all. Don't like the administration? Don't interact with them.

Also, most of what you listed is completely irrelevant to your job prospects, which is what you should be concerned about. The effect of transferring to Chapman would be that you have a marginally worse employment outcome, especially because you'd be transferring from a peer school and losing any possible network you may have built in your first year at Santa Clara.

That said, "entertainment law" seems unlikely from either of these schools without better grades than your post suggests, so I hope you've identified a backup plan.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:18 pm

I'm also going to say "no" for basically the reasons Cavalier said. The only transfer that would make sense is a transfer up or a transfer into your target geo market---ideally both. I can't think of a good reason to go to Chapman when you have an okay setup at SC.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:55 am

Your reasons for transferring from Santa Clara to Chapman do not make sense. Stay where you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”