Transfer to GW or Minnesota for environmental/energy law Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
schaha24

New

Transfer to GW or Minnesota for environmental/energy law

Post by schaha24 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Hi all, I've been accepted as a transfer from a school ranked around 50th to UMN and GW - deadline for GW is tomorrow but asked for an extension, UMN deadline is Friday. not based in DC or MN but not a huge deal to move, also waiting on GULC and Columbia (top 14-20% at current school but fall was like 3.4 so those are long shots)... gonna put a deposit and see what happens with the T14, but torn. GW is a great school and has the name, but heard from a prof that it's more like a factory and less personal, and environmental there is mostly adjuncts. UMN has a concentration in it.. not sure whether to go for program or name or if i'm missing factors. Any insight?

ignorantfoot96

New

Re: Transfer to GW or Minnesota for environmental/energy law

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 am

schaha24 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 pm
Hi all, I've been accepted as a transfer from a school ranked around 50th to UMN and GW - deadline for GW is tomorrow but asked for an extension, UMN deadline is Friday. not based in DC or MN but not a huge deal to move, also waiting on GULC and Columbia (top 14-20% at current school but fall was like 3.4 so those are long shots)... gonna put a deposit and see what happens with the T14, but torn. GW is a great school and has the name, but heard from a prof that it's more like a factory and less personal, and environmental there is mostly adjuncts. UMN has a concentration in it.. not sure whether to go for program or name or if i'm missing factors. Any insight?
Any particular region you want to work in? Both of these are pretty (strong) regional schools. Not saying there is no portability, but if you wanted east coast then GW for sure and MN for midwest.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:16 am

In law school adjuncts can be some of the most helpful profs, because they’re usually practitioners and may well have better connections with the current field.

That said, I agree that where you want to practice is the big consideration here. Also, which one has better placement into environmental jobs? Which one will be cheaper?

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:29 am

schaha24 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 pm
I'll put in a good word for Minnesota here. Professors Klass, Karkkinen, and Hickman are some of the best the law school has to offer, and they cover most of what makes up the environmental law concentration. While you shouldn't make the decision based on this alone (focus on $$ and where you want to practice), I think you'd be pretty happy with UMN.

schaha24

New

Post by schaha24 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks for the input - MN is less expensive for both living and overall costs, but in all likelihood I'll be practicing in NY/DC area..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ignorantfoot96

New

Post by ignorantfoot96 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:18 pm

schaha24 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 am
Thanks for the input - MN is less expensive for both living and overall costs, but in all likelihood I'll be practicing in NY/DC area..
GW is the right choice in this instance. Especially if you don't qualify for in-state for MN.

namefromplace

Bronze

Post by namefromplace » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:38 pm

I think it's also important to ask what kind of environmental/energy work you would like to do. If you want to work at a regional firm, state gov't, or Midwest BigLaw, then Minnesota. GW for east coast BigLaw, EPA, or FERC.

schaha24

New

Post by schaha24 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:48 am

namefromplace wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:38 pm
I think it's also important to ask what kind of environmental/energy work you would like to do. If you want to work at a regional firm, state gov't, or Midwest BigLaw, then Minnesota. GW for east coast BigLaw, EPA, or FERC.
yea looking at east coast DC/NY-based firms and EPA... it's hard to walk away from a great program though and minnesota is more affordable. (tuition and cost of living while a student). I don't know if anyone else feels some stress knowing the job market might be really uncertain, and neither school is T14, so I'm a little wary about job prospects and debt (i had a very good package my first year but the next two, not so much).

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 am

Are you dead-set on transferring? If you have a solid scholarship at your current school, I'm not sure I would pay sticker for either UMN or GW in this environment.

This might be unpopular, I guess, but I'm not sure I'd bet 100k+ on having a significantly better employment outcome as a transfer at either school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:10 am

Yeah, tbh I agree that if you have a scholarship at your current school I’m not sure either are worth it. Your current school, at least based on rank, is respectable enough (you’re not jumping up from T3 or T4), and you’re in a good position there. What do you mean by environmental/energy law? Do you mean biglaw? What are your school’s placement stats compared to MN and GW?

schaha24

New

Post by schaha24 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:10 pm

nixy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:10 am
Yeah, tbh I agree that if you have a scholarship at your current school I’m not sure either are worth it. Your current school, at least based on rank, is respectable enough (you’re not jumping up from T3 or T4), and you’re in a good position there. What do you mean by environmental/energy law? Do you mean biglaw? What are your school’s placement stats compared to MN and GW?
That's a little bit of an issue too - I've never really tried to really climb the academic ranks, my undergrad was a total unknown and I dropped out a few times (I worked for the last 10 years and through undergrad, so not super traditional), so I've always had to do a lot of explaining about where I've gone (academically) and why. I do want biglaw at first probably, hoping to go into gov't/policy later unless I wind up loving firm life, and I know that my undergrad and being at the school I'm currently at isn't necessarily going to open all those doors. I'll also need to stay in the top 10% to get looks in a worsening economy.

So the tradeoff is partially name and maybe not having to go crazy the next two years for more options career-wise, and not having my resume work against me because everything requires explanation (my work history is extremely solid - long tenures at 2 companies in RE and senior position in finance) but nothing is guaranteed.

Sorry everyone on this thread lol.. I'm a little more of a mess than I thought I was planning this out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”