Current UIUC Student - accepted transfer to UChicago, no $$$ Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheReasonablePerson

New

Current UIUC Student - accepted transfer to UChicago, no $$$

Post by TheReasonablePerson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Top 10 individually in UIUC. Just got accepted to UChicago. Normally I wouldn't consider transferring, but the economy makes me nervous, and this is pretty amazing school to attend.

Full debt load, though.

cavalier1138

Re: Current UIUC Student - accepted transfer to UChicago, no $$$

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:37 am

What are your career goals? Are both schools doing a spring OCI?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 am

I think you go.....

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:53 am

I'd say transfer, but it depends on the difference in overall COA. How much would staying at UIUC cost vs. transferring to UC?

TheReasonablePerson

New

Post by TheReasonablePerson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:22 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:37 am
What are your career goals? Are both schools doing a spring OCI?
Bigaw. Possible judgeship in future.

Chicago is doing a December OCI, illinois a spring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheReasonablePerson

New

Post by TheReasonablePerson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am

decimalsanddollars wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:53 am
I'd say transfer, but it depends on the difference in overall COA. How much would staying at UIUC cost vs. transferring to UC?
Illinois total COA: 30k. Chicago: 200k, although my gf is willing to support me and live with, so 160k without living expenses.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:28 am

I say transfer given economic concerns. It's a lot of debt, but not insane, and if the economy totally tanks, you'll be in a better spot / payments will likely be paused again anyway if you don't have a gig (or even if you do).

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:29 am

Yeah, that's a pretty big COA difference, but I'd still transfer given your goals and circumstances.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:45 am

Doesn’t UIUC have decent OCI? OP is top ten student, I’d have to think they have a pretty good chance at landing a firm job. $170K in extra debt is no joke.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

Dcc617 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:45 am
Doesn’t UIUC have decent OCI? OP is top ten student, I’d have to think they have a pretty good chance at landing a firm job. $170K in extra debt is no joke.
Agree with this. If OP wants biglaw, they're in a pretty solid spot already. It's not like moving to UChicago takes the economy completely out of consideration.

uchioci

New

Post by uchioci » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 pm

UIUC has over 30% Big law placement according to LST. And I do not think being a judge is a big enough factor to say go to one school over the other. You can probably get UIUC to drop its cost down too. I don't know if the added costs will be worth it.

Are you on journal? You have missed out on the chance, outside the topic access program, to get on a journal at Chicago so that may also be something to consider.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:21 pm

uchioci wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 pm
UIUC has over 30% Big law placement according to LST. And I do not think being a judge is a big enough factor to say go to one school over the other. You can probably get UIUC to drop its cost down too. I don't know if the added costs will be worth it.

Are you on journal? You have missed out on the chance, outside the topic access program, to get on a journal at Chicago so that may also be something to consider.
I'm afraid UIUC won't place anywhere near 30% into biglaw this year. When times get tough, firms tend to only recruit from the top schools. I'd go to Chicago without a second thought.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:36 pm

If OP were looking at top 30% grades, I'd agree. But they're top 10 students. If anyone from UIUC gets an offer, it'll be them (and if they don't, it may be for reasons Uchicago won't fix).

It's a ton of extra money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:55 pm

I think either choice is a good one, but some factors to consider.

UIUC's BL+FC rates were 18% in 2011 and 24% in 2012. Even if those rates get cut in half in '21, OP still has a pretty good shot at landing BL or a clerkship.

OTOH, OP will need to repeat his/her Fall '19 performance to guarantee a shot at BL. Remote learning may throw a wrench in that as online graded classes are going to advantage/disadvantage certain students in unforeseeable ways.

UC is going to give you a great shot at BL/FC and far more competitive clerkships at that. $160k is not an unconscionable amount for UC, but midlaw or PI with minimal debt isn't that bad either.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:33 am

Having to get great grades in another semester before OCI changes the calculus substantially. I forgot about that.

Essentially, best case for OP is getting a biglaw job from UIUC. It's just risky to stay, whereas Chicago is safer for biglaw (but riskier insofar as taking an extra $170K in debt).

TheReasonablePerson

New

Post by TheReasonablePerson » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:12 pm

Update: I'm heavily leaning towards transferring. One important detail is I cant make journal on Chicago as a transfer, but I haven't heard yet if I am in journal at UIUC, either.

I am not 100% confident I can repeat my success from fall '19, especially since classes will be online and I do not, at all, do well with online classes.

I figure a Chicago degree will stick with me forever, and my wife paying for living expenses will help mitigate, to some degree, the debt.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Great choice!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:21 pm

My best advice to you would be to calculate the difference in monthly loan payments from each school. You're essentially taking out an entire year of biglaw salary in loans to go to Chicago. That much debt narrows options a lot

snugglebun

New

Post by snugglebun » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:43 pm

TheReasonablePerson wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:12 pm
Update: I'm heavily leaning towards transferring. One important detail is I cant make journal on Chicago as a transfer, but I haven't heard yet if I am in journal at UIUC, either.

I am not 100% confident I can repeat my success from fall '19, especially since classes will be online and I do not, at all, do well with online classes.

I figure a Chicago degree will stick with me forever, and my wife paying for living expenses will help mitigate, to some degree, the debt.
One thing also to consider is that U of C is on a quarter system. So, if things go well, just autumn quarter might be online, leaving you both winter and spring in person to get better grades.

TheReasonablePerson

New

Post by TheReasonablePerson » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:53 am

Also quick update: I found out I am still eligible for law review at U of C.

Jblcok

New

Post by Jblcok » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:06 pm

How so? The topic access program or whatever or is there another way?

TheReasonablePerson

New

Post by TheReasonablePerson » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Jblcok wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:06 pm
How so? The topic access program or whatever or is there another way?
The topic access program as you mentioned. If I am accepted through that, I receive the same level of access as if I had gotten on through the summer write-on. I've already begun researching the topic, since I will likely want it to be finished before classes start.

It's a different process but still similar mechanically.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”