T4 law school at Top 25% to Pepperdine Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T4 law school at Top 25% to Pepperdine

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 3:10 pm

I am a current student at T4 School in Texas at top 25% applying to Pepperdine, I researched on Pepperdine's page that a requirement is to be on top 25% of the 1L class and additionally saw that they accepted a transfer from UNT Dallas in 2019, which is an unranked school (a conditional ABA accreditation) I have had internships in the United Nations in Geneva, worked at a Mexican Government agency in London to stimulate foreign investment, and worked as an intern at a small cities chamber of commerce. Further, I am currently working with immigrants in the application process to receive American visas with a national Mexican organization. I dont want to get my hopes up but it would be a dream come true, what are the chances of getting to Pepperdine?

cookiebandit33

New

Re: T4 law school at Top 25% to Pepperdine

Post by cookiebandit33 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:03 pm

What's your actual GPA? That's going to be the biggest piece here.

lcm123

New

Post by lcm123 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:12 pm

2.86, which puts me at a top 25% because my school grades at a "C" as opposed to a "B" curve which from what I understand is most of the other law schools.

"The first-year doctrinal class grades are distributed to students in each course as follows:
o A range (3.67-4.00): 9% (of students in the course receive a grade in this range)
o B range (2.67-3.33): 33%
o C range (1.67-2.33): 52%
o D range (0.67-1.33): 5%
o F range (0.00): 1%
 Please note this distribution, or “curve,” is lower than the typical range for other law schools.
 GPAs that fall between letter grades indicate plus or minus scores (e.g. A- to B+ Range: 3.33-3.67)"

cookiebandit33

New

Post by cookiebandit33 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:37 pm

I mean, it's worth applying, since you can't get in without trying, but you are below their 25th percentile (3.07), so odds are low. What's drawing you to Pepperdine from TX?

Pennoyer v. Meh

Bronze

Post by Pennoyer v. Meh » Wed May 13, 2020 7:40 pm

Has Pepperdine ever accepted a transfer from your school before? That grading curve is sociopathic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm

I am unsure if any transfers from my school have been accepted into Pepperdine. I am looking for an opportunity at Pepperdine for its dispute resolution clinics and also an Entrepreneurship Law Certificate. Texas as always been home and I thankfully have never feared the change in a new ambiance.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm
I am unsure if any transfers from my school have been accepted into Pepperdine. I am looking for an opportunity at Pepperdine for its dispute resolution clinics and also an Entrepreneurship Law Certificate. Texas as always been home and I thankfully have never feared the change in a new ambiance.
1. Those clinics/certificates have no value.

2. Do you want to practice in Texas or California?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 pm

If those clinics/certificates have no value would it no be important to mention as a reason to transfer. It is a point of interest as I incline to implement the law to some projects I have in mind.

I would like to take the UBE and also take the California Bar

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 pm
If those clinics/certificates have no value would it no be important to mention as a reason to transfer. It is a point of interest as I incline to implement the law to some projects I have in mind.

I would like to take the UBE and also take the California Bar
No, you should mention them in a transfer statement. The school will love to hear about them, because that's something they're trying to sell you. I'm telling you that they have no value for you.

And now your plan is raising all kinds of red flags: Where do you want to practice immediately after graduation? You can only pick one state.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu May 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Agree with what Cav has said, and to drill down on the "where do you want to practice" point:

You're not going to be able to transfer to any school with national placement; at best, you'd be looking to transfer to a regional or strong local school. Because regional and local schools don't really carry national weight but place mostly in the region/city where that school is located, you should only transfer to a school in the city/region where you want to practice. If you want to be in LA, go ahead and apply to Pepperdine, but if you want to practice in a different jurisdiction, you should transfer to a school in that jurisdiction. If you want to be in Texas, you should either stay put or transfer to another Texas school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”