Importance of class rank vs. GPA in transferring? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rgwen

New

Importance of class rank vs. GPA in transferring?

Post by rgwen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:23 pm

Why do people suggest that the class rank matters more than the GPA in transfer admissions? I see they utilize 1L GPA medians on their ABA disclosures. Are transfer admissions somehow factored into rankings and US & News looks at class rank or something? I can't imagine schools would use class rank to be more equitable at the expense of their median disclosures.

zg43

New

Re: Chances of transferring?

Post by zg43 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:33 pm

rgwen wrote:Why do people suggest that the class rank matters more than the GPA in transfer admissions? I see they utilize 1L GPA medians on their ABA disclosures. Are transfer admissions somehow factored into rankings and US & News looks at class rank or something? I can't imagine schools would use class rank to be more equitable at the expense of their median disclosures.
I think it’s because they don’t really care about their medians, they just want the best students. No transfer stats go into the rankings. Therefore, they’d probably prefer a top 10% student at a T30 than a top 10% at a TT or TTT. Every school has a different GPA distribution, so a higher gpa at one school does not correlate with a lower GPA at a different school. The only way to really compare is by looking at class rank.

rgwen

New

Re: Chances of transferring?

Post by rgwen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:45 pm

zg43 wrote:
rgwen wrote:Why do people suggest that the class rank matters more than the GPA in transfer admissions? I see they utilize 1L GPA medians on their ABA disclosures. Are transfer admissions somehow factored into rankings and US & News looks at class rank or something? I can't imagine schools would use class rank to be more equitable at the expense of their median disclosures.
I think it’s because they don’t really care about their medians, they just want the best students. No transfer stats go into the rankings. Therefore, they’d probably prefer a top 10% student at a T30 than a top 10% at a TT or TTT. Every school has a different GPA distribution, so a higher gpa at one school does not correlate with a lower GPA at a different school. The only way to really compare is by looking at class rank.
Well I guess that's kind of refreshing to hear.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”