Letters of Recommendation Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ingoodkompany

New

Letters of Recommendation

Post by ingoodkompany » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:06 am

So I’m going to have one letter of recommendation from my Legal Writing professor which should be strong. Given the covid mandatory P/F however, I only have 3 other professors to really choose from and none of them I was especially close with. While I did well in all the classes, I’m hesitant about receiving a lukewarm letter from any of them. For context, I was pretty quiet in class unless cold called and never went to office hours.

So to my question, is it looked down upon to get a letter from an UG professor? I assume it doesn’t carry nearly as much weight as a law professor, however I have a professor I took multiple classes with/TA’d for/was my senior thesis advisor who would likely write me a very strong recommendation. What’s the consensus on a situation like this?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Post by KPUSN07 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:44 pm

I'd say break whatever mental barrier you have and find that other professor you feel would be sympathetic to your cause.

An undergrad letter may not hurt based on Spivey's transfer podcast saying schools could put a little more emphasis on the undergrad record.

janereacher

Bronze

Post by janereacher » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:48 am

I agree with KPUSN07 - you just need to go ahead and ask. I got two LORs from law professors. One class I never went to office hours and only contributed when cold called. Getting one of the top grades on the final was enough for a good LOR. Also, to the extent I was allowed to include additional letters, I used the LORs from undergrad professors that were still in my LSAC account. I can't say how much they helped but they were strong letters. I wouldn't substitute a law professor letter with an undergrad letter but you can certainly supplement your law professor letters with additional undergrad letters.

kvh0996

New

Post by kvh0996 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:48 pm

It can never hurt to ask, especially if you did well in a class. Also attaching a resume or a letter about you and your interests helps them get to know you better.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:09 pm

janereacher wrote:I agree with KPUSN07 - you just need to go ahead and ask. I got two LORs from law professors. One class I never went to office hours and only contributed when cold called. Getting one of the top grades on the final was enough for a good LOR. Also, to the extent I was allowed to include additional letters, I used the LORs from undergrad professors that were still in my LSAC account. I can't say how much they helped but they were strong letters. I wouldn't substitute a law professor letter with an undergrad letter but you can certainly supplement your law professor letters with additional undergrad letters.
Are you transferring this year or transferred previously? Curious how you feel the LoRs affected your chances (and what your grades are).

janereacher

Bronze

Post by janereacher » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
janereacher wrote:I agree with KPUSN07 - you just need to go ahead and ask. I got two LORs from law professors. One class I never went to office hours and only contributed when cold called. Getting one of the top grades on the final was enough for a good LOR. Also, to the extent I was allowed to include additional letters, I used the LORs from undergrad professors that were still in my LSAC account. I can't say how much they helped but they were strong letters. I wouldn't substitute a law professor letter with an undergrad letter but you can certainly supplement your law professor letters with additional undergrad letters.
Are you transferring this year or transferred previously? Curious how you feel the LoRs affected your chances (and what your grades are).
I transferred last year. I honestly have no idea how the LORs affected my chances. I never got any indication about that from anyone. I just knew going in that my undergrad letters were very strong so I figured it wouldn't hurt to include them. I suspect they may have helped to bolster the overall story about myself, my abilities, my interests, and my goals. One letter was from a professor I did research with. My pre-transfer stats were: 3.9 GPA, T1 school, top 2.5%

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”