Should I transfer? Poll (please explain your vote!) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should I transfer?

Berkeley
46%
UCLA
21%
Nowhere
25%
Somewhere else (please comment)
7%

Total votes: 28

Anonymous User

Should I transfer? Poll (please explain your vote!)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm thinking about transferring from a California T1, but I'm on the fence because I really do enjoy my current school. Losing my scholly is also a big factor.

Relevant factors:
- California resident, currently paying $25K/y base tuition + costs/living expenses.
- Currently not in debt, but I will have to take out loans starting next year.
- First semester GPA: 3.79.
- Career aspirations: Soft-IP, I'm open to big law but ultimately want to end up at a boutique or public interest organization (such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation).
- I want to work in California.
- If I transfer to UCLA, I can save money by living with family.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Should I transfer? Poll

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:59 pm

EFF (or an IP boutique) is going to be a tough gig to get without some relevant experience. Have you got prior experience from pre-law school, or are you getting relevant experience in school?

What would be the actual difference in cost of attendance if you were to transfer to UCLA?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:51 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:EFF (or an IP boutique) is going to be a tough gig to get without some relevant experience. Have you got prior experience from pre-law school, or are you getting relevant experience in school?

What would be the actual difference in cost of attendance if you were to transfer to UCLA?
+1. I voted "somewhere else" and I think that, given your goals, it probably makes sense to stay put at UC-Davis if you can't transfer to Stanford, which you should try to do if your grades improve at all. My advice changes slightly if total cost of attendance difference is less than $40-50k overall (for the last two years), which it might be---but note that the UC system is planning to significantly increase tuition. If the COA difference would be that low, I would seriously consider UCLA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Thanks for your replies.
I voted "somewhere else" and I think that, given your goals, it probably makes sense to stay put at UC-Davis if you can't transfer to Stanford, which you should try to do if your grades improve at all. My advice changes slightly if total cost of attendance difference is less than $40-50k overall (for the last two years), which it might be---but note that the UC system is planning to significantly increase tuition. If the COA difference would be that low, I would seriously consider UCLA.
I might as well let the cat out of the bag given there are only so many T1 CA schools that I didn't poll: I go to UCI.

At most, the total cost differential between UCLA and UCI would be around $40K (assuming both schools increase tuition by about the same amount). And that doesn't account for what I would save on cost of living in LA (est. $10,000-$12,000).
EFF (or an IP boutique) is going to be a tough gig to get without some relevant experience. Have you got prior experience from pre-law school, or are you getting relevant experience in school?
I agree. That's why I'm open to doing big law first. Another factor is that UCI has a public interest IP clinic, which offers exposure to copyright/trademark policy work and litigation. UCLA does not. Berkeley does, and I know one of its professors sits on EFF's board.
See above
Have you got prior experience from pre-law school, or are you getting relevant experience in school?
A little bit. I worked as a research assistant for a copyright professor in his capacity as an expert witness on two occasions (I was a paralegal before LS). As a 1L, I haven't gotten any soft-IP relevant experience at law school.

blackcanary01

New

Re: Should I transfer? Poll (please explain your vote!)

Post by blackcanary01 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:42 pm

I think you should stay put. UCI is a great school and it offers the experiential learning component that really is essential to practice the field of law you are interested in, in addition to giving you the same geographic advantage that would come with transferring to the options you've listed.

Also, you really don't want to lose your scholarship and pay sticker, especially given the massive economic recession we're facing because of corona.

I know the appeal of jumping up in the rankings, but seriously, UCI has a great reputation. It sounds like you've built relationships there that will continue to grow and turn into networking opportunities. Combine that with a clinical experience doing public interest IP work in the geographic market you're interested in, and your high GPA, employers will want to pluck you fast. You really don't want to lose all that for the sake of jumping up in the rankings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”