T30 3.22 chances at GULC? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yjang36

New

T30 3.22 chances at GULC?

Post by yjang36 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:42 am

I am attending T30 law school, and has a GPA of 3.22, which is within top 30%.

My grade jumped abruptly from 2.8 (Fall) to 3.6 (Spring), which allowed me to apply to my dream school, GULC.

I am nervous about the decision as my GPA is not within 10%.... and want to know my chances !

Thank you in advance for the advices !:)

MSUN5

Bronze

Re: T30 3.22 chances at GULC?

Post by MSUN5 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:59 am

yjang36 wrote:I am attending T30 law school, and has a GPA of 3.22, which is within top 30%.

My grade jumped abruptly from 2.8 (Fall) to 3.6 (Spring), which allowed me to apply to my dream school, GULC.

I am nervous about the decision as my GPA is not within 10%.... and want to know my chances !

Thank you in advance for the advices !:)
Huh, I didn't know any schools in the 20's curved that low.

Either way, I think anywhere in that 30% range at a strong T1 like yours is probably a toss-up--leaning one way or the next depending on softs. I'm aware of a few people from good T1s who landed GULC with that approximate rank. Best of luck!

Lawman1865

Bronze

Re: T30 3.22 chances at GULC?

Post by Lawman1865 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Hey congrats on the grade jump, that's always a welcome surprise.

Take a look at their 509 report and you can see the general range of their transfer admissions. From what I recall when I was transferring, they are pretty friendly about accepting outside the strict "10%" class, especially if you're in a T30 school.

That being said, while it appears it may not be a terrible decision to transfer, since it doesn't appear like you're absolutely decimating it at your current school, I would think seriously about any debt you will be incurring to go to a school that has 600+ students a year, accepts a LOT of transfers (100+ each year, and many presumably who may be more appealing to firms as they have better grades than you), and already struggles relatively to place people in jobs.

I hate to play the role of the GULC hater, but just making sure you get all the facts. It is an expensive place to live and if you have a scholarship at your current school, the price tag on your legal education when you transfer goes way up. If you get in, it may be worth to leverage it for more money from your current school, just a suggestion.

Good luck regardless! Let us know how it goes.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”