T30 to T14, what are my chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T30 to T14, what are my chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:29 am

- BC/BU (no Boston ties and resume is littered with CA work experience)
- 3.5X GPA, approximately top 25%-30% based off last year's grade distribution
- Judicial Internship at MA. Superior Court lined up for 1L summer
- Legal Internship at a large corporation (800+ employees) in MA lined up for 2L fall
- Relatively strong letter of recommendation from retired MA. Appeals Court Justice (and possibly Legal Writing prof.)
- Goal is BigLaw anywhere for a couple of years (but preferably in CA), then would like to lateral back to CA, then in-house
- First Generation College Student (not URM)
- I have 70k saved up so debt is not really an issue

What are my chances at the T14 and is it even worth it to transfer? From my understanding, people in my position generally do well at OCI, but I am somewhat afraid of a recession eroding BC/BU's placement power. And a recession seems more likely looking at various market metrics. That and the national reach, coupled with enhanced prestige, of the T14 are my reasons for transferring.

I have a solid connection with two hiring partners at a regional firm in the area with around 200 attorneys. One of the partners personally e-mailed me and asked that I attend a year end event sponsored by the firm. I am somewhat afraid of squandering this opportunity if I transfer to a T14. What would you do in my shoes?

Sls17

Bronze

Re: T30 to T14, what are my chances?

Post by Sls17 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:09 pm

What kind of scholarship, if any, would you be giving up at your current school? If I were in your shoes and wanted to be in California I’d at least apply to Berkeley and see what happens.

wishywashy

New

Post by wishywashy » Thu May 16, 2019 2:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:- BC/BU (no Boston ties and resume is littered with CA work experience)
- 3.5X GPA, approximately top 25%-30% based off last year's grade distribution
- Judicial Internship at MA. Superior Court lined up for 1L summer
- Legal Internship at a large corporation (800+ employees) in MA lined up for 2L fall
- Relatively strong letter of recommendation from retired MA. Appeals Court Justice (and possibly Legal Writing prof.)
- Goal is BigLaw anywhere for a couple of years (but preferably in CA), then would like to lateral back to CA, then in-house
- First Generation College Student (not URM)
- I have 70k saved up so debt is not really an issue

What are my chances at the T14 and is it even worth it to transfer? From my understanding, people in my position generally do well at OCI, but I am somewhat afraid of a recession eroding BC/BU's placement power. And a recession seems more likely looking at various market metrics. That and the national reach, coupled with enhanced prestige, of the T14 are my reasons for transferring.

I have a solid connection with two hiring partners at a regional firm in the area with around 200 attorneys. One of the partners personally e-mailed me and asked that I attend a year end event sponsored by the firm. I am somewhat afraid of squandering this opportunity if I transfer to a T14. What would you do in my shoes?

I transferred into the t14 for similar reasons: job prospects, prestige for future laterals or promotions, network, etc. I would point out a couple of things.

The first is that you may or may not do as well at the new school. So look how their medians place and where and see if that fits for you. OCI may be biased towards your old school (if they would not have hired you at the old school they may not at the new place) and you are riding on your old school's reputation and your old GPA/rank. Personally, I think you'll do fine as long as you get a seat at OCI so watch for how OCI works at new school.

The second is that you will have a shot at journals (secondaries or maybe LR depending on the school). Some make you do this when you app so be prepared for the ton of work that is and that you might have to do it at multiple schools. Make sure to check the journal/LR policy (even if they say you can't write on to LR note that most places will auto-admit you if you publish an article in LR, so that can be a good back door - though with a high bar).

Third is scholarship. You should take into account that you got a discount off your first year and pro-rate that in your mind over the next two. For instance, if I got a $30k off my first year in law school and then xferred it is almost like getting $10k/year for 3 years except you got it all up front. That being said, debt is a PITA just don't short change the value of the discounts you've already got and what that means for your total cost to attend law school. In the end it will all be one number.

Lastly, I would encourage you to apply broadly if you can afford it. Better to have 3 yeses and the chance to choose (even if only to negotiate with BU/BC to stay put). You do not want to app to 3 or 4 and get all denials and then regret it.

Don't over estimate the protection a t14 degree might give you in a downturn. Try and go back and compare BU/BC numbers to t14 numbers in the last recession (really the last recession was an abnormal event - maybe the 2002/1999 recessions make more sense as they are "normal recessions"). Don't over estimate the hit of recession either - 2008 was a unique thing.

Oh and take that 70K and plug it into a retirement calculator. You are not just spending 70k cash, you are giving up 40+ years of compound interest. Really look at that number.

Best of luck. (edit: I highly doubt your opportunity will go poof because you transferred. If they like you now they will like you at the t14. You may just have to assuage their doubts on your commitment to them - they may think you transferred to "trade up").

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am

I like all the points made by wishy-washy and incorporate them here by reference. :-)

I hate the idea that you've saved up $70k to spend on a transfer school. Because that kind of savings is hard to do -- I think, anyway. I would make sure that this move makes financial sense. Something pulled you to Boston last year, and if it was a good scholarship, I'd consider hanging on to that.

I transferred to a T14 but from a TTTT so it made sense. However, I agree with wishy-washy that if you do apply, apply broadly and especially to CA schools if that's your geographic target.

Good luck!

Vee_bunny

New

Post by Vee_bunny » Wed May 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Transfer2021 wrote:I like all the points made by wishy-washy and incorporate them here by reference. :-)

I hate the idea that you've saved up $70k to spend on a transfer school. Because that kind of savings is hard to do -- I think, anyway. I would make sure that this move makes financial sense. Something pulled you to Boston last year, and if it was a good scholarship, I'd consider hanging on to that.

I transferred to a T14 but from a TTTT so it made sense. However, I agree with wishy-washy that if you do apply, apply broadly and especially to CA schools if that's your geographic target.

Good luck!

Can I ask what your stats were when you transferred from TTTT to T14?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Transfer2021

New

Post by Transfer2021 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Vee_bunny wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:17 pm
Transfer2021 wrote:I like all the points made by wishy-washy and incorporate them here by reference. :-)

Good luck!

Can I ask what your stats were when you transferred from TTTT to T14?
hey there - sorry I didn't see your question for 9 months or so... I had a 3.60 at my TTTT school. I currently have a 3.67 at my T14 (graduating next month). Believe it or not, it's harder to get good grades at the TTTT because of the curve. My LSAT was crap which proves it doesn't matter when you transfer, as LSAT is generally supposed to predict 1L performance. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”