Georgetown vs. Michigan?? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawstudent3000

New

Georgetown vs. Michigan??

Post by Lawstudent3000 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:29 pm

So, I just got the acceptance call from Michigan. I am transferring from a mid TT with a 3.538 GPA. Got in at Georgetown about a week ago and doing the write on competition right now. I stupidly missed the journal deadline for Michigan, should that factor in strongly with my decision? Does anybody know whether I can write on for my 3L year (some rising 3L's did that at my TT school...).

Another question, and maybe it's a bit shallow, but what level is Michigan in the T14? Has it ranked within the top 10 the last few years, or is it going to drop to N12 when Berkeley comes back, etc.? I know it's a super minor point, but it would mean a lot to be in a "top 10" uni. To broaden that a bit, is it more on the tier of Cornell/Northwestern or Penn?

Finally, is the brand very strong? I honestly had not heard of it referred to in the "top uni" context, and so I'm worried maybe it's recognition is somewhat limited (as opposed to something like Cornell, Penn, Columbia, etc.) Is that just me? All my family members had heard of Georgetown, but when I told them I got in at Michigan, they didn't even know it was in the top 20...

Anyway some broad advice would really help, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the journal write-on + all these options. I have a feeling that TLS will lean hard toward Michigan, but I really would love to hear why.

Good problems of course :). Thanks to any help offered!

$$$$$$

Bronze

Re: Georgetown vs. Michigan??

Post by $$$$$$ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Michigan is one of the best schools in the world and Ann Arbor is one of the best college towns in the country. Michigan Law has been considered a Top 10 law school for as long as rankings have been in existence. Unless Georgetown is giving you money or you hate big universities, Michigan is a great choice here. However, if you have a huge scholarship at your current school, then neither may be worth it at the end of the day.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Michigan has a really strong reputation both today and historically. You shouldn't be worrying about this to begin with, but if you are worried about it, don't be. Michigan isn't going anywhere, and even if it did drop to 12 next year, all rational people know Michigan and Berkeley are peers, regardless of where they are ranked.

Whether you should go to one or the other of Michigan or Georgetown isn't exactly the question. Why are you dead set on transferring when you have an 80% scholarship at Miami? Top 12% at Miami can get you a good job in Miami, and you'll be in way less debt.

Michigan outplaces GULC pretty significantly, so if you're going to transfer, Michigan is probably the right call here. But transferring because you want a top 10 school degree just so you can wear it like a badge of honor is pretty silly. If you really wanted DC Biglaw exclusively or maybe prestigious federal positions this transfer might make sense, but saving that much money to end up with a substantially similar outcome from Miami (albeit located in Miami and not DC) should make you seriously consider transferring at all.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Congrats! I would definitely go to Michigan. OCI is a lot better at Michigan as compared to GULC. If you don't get a SA position, Michigan will provide you with better 3L opportunities. I think a lot of people underrate pedigree and grades. Those things still matter when you are 5-10 years out and perhaps beyond. There may be many people who have the same skillset as you, but your grades and pedigree can make you stand out a little more. In addition, the alum network also helps.

I can't say that I'm not a little jealous and envious. I gotta stop reading the transfer forum! I came from a ~50th ranked school with slightly better grades (top 10-11%) than you (graduated 2012) and I couldn't get into Georgetown or Michigan. Michigan has always been my dream school.

I would definitely go!
Last edited by thexfactor on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jmlevass

New

Post by jmlevass » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Lawstudent3000 wrote:I honestly had not heard of it referred to in the "top uni" context
I might be biased on this one, but how have you not heard of Michigan referred to as a top university?

Obviously I'd say go to Michigan, that's probably where I'm heading for the fall too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawstudent3000

New

Post by Lawstudent3000 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks for the responses so far.

Anybody have anything to say about the law journal situation? Is that something that should be weighed in the decision (basically I was late to register for law review, so I can't write-on).

I've looked at videos, articles, etc. The school itself looks architecturally brilliant, but doesn't it seem like the small town gets tiring? Especially compared to D.C?

How do the two compare in placement on the east coast?

Obviously I'll continue to think about it over the weekend, any responses, helpful tips would be awesome. Thanks!

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Lawstudent3000 wrote:Thanks for the responses so far.

Anybody have anything to say about the law journal situation? Is that something that should be weighed in the decision (basically I was late to register for law review, so I can't write-on).

I've looked at videos, articles, etc. The school itself looks architecturally brilliant, but doesn't it seem like the small town gets tiring? Especially compared to D.C?

How do the two compare in placement on the east coast?

Obviously I'll continue to think about it over the weekend, any responses, helpful tips would be awesome. Thanks!
don't worry about the journal, even if you had your heart set on clerking it may be possible with top grades

unlikely they have a 3L write on

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:36 am

Lawstudent3000 wrote: Finally, is the brand very strong? I honestly had not heard of it referred to in the "top uni" context, and so I'm worried maybe it's recognition is somewhat limited (as opposed to something like Cornell, Penn, Columbia, etc.) Is that just me? All my family members had heard of Georgetown, but when I told them I got in at Michigan, they didn't even know it was in the top 20...
If by "brand recognition" you mean someone you meet on the street will be impressed with you attending "law school x", I wouldn't factor that highly into your decision making process. I went to a highly prestigious undergrad because it had a way better brand than the other schools I was admitted to, and guess what - when my friends at lower-ranked schools had a better experience and identical job/grad school opportunities post-graduation, I genuinely regretted weighing brand so highly into my choice. Also, that 'good feeling' of attending a prestigious school really fades within weeks of you being there, you'll realize.

This being said, the consensus here is that Michigan indeed has better OCI opportunities than Georgetown. I would weigh that more heavily into your decision than 'brand'. I'm probably also gonna head there too.

Good luck with your decision!

Shootin

New

Post by Shootin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 am

Stay in Miami and get big law in Miami. Its the best decision you can make for your financial situation. Biglaw money in miami is equivalent to 200k+ salary in DC/NY. And because you're not saddled with loans, you could actually enjoy the salary. Otherwise, you'll spend at least the first 5 years just servicing the loans. To pay off 150k in loans you need to actually make like 250k. And don't forget percents too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grixxlybear99

Bronze

Post by grixxlybear99 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Lawstudent3000 wrote:So, I just got the acceptance call from Michigan. I am transferring from a mid TT with a 3.538 GPA. Got in at Georgetown about a week ago and doing the write on competition right now. I stupidly missed the journal deadline for Michigan, should that factor in strongly with my decision? Does anybody know whether I can write on for my 3L year (some rising 3L's did that at my TT school...).

Another question, and maybe it's a bit shallow, but what level is Michigan in the T14? Has it ranked within the top 10 the last few years, or is it going to drop to N12 when Berkeley comes back, etc.? I know it's a super minor point, but it would mean a lot to be in a "top 10" uni. To broaden that a bit, is it more on the tier of Cornell/Northwestern or Penn?

Finally, is the brand very strong? I honestly had not heard of it referred to in the "top uni" context, and so I'm worried maybe it's recognition is somewhat limited (as opposed to something like Cornell, Penn, Columbia, etc.) Is that just me? All my family members had heard of Georgetown, but when I told them I got in at Michigan, they didn't even know it was in the top 20...

Anyway some broad advice would really help, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the journal write-on + all these options. I have a feeling that TLS will lean hard toward Michigan, but I really would love to hear why.

Good problems of course :). Thanks to any help offered!
How much is the total COA at Miami, GULC and Michigan. I'd lean towards staying at UM depending on your class rank and the COL.

I don't know if you're really assessing what $200k of debt would feel like

Lawstudent3000

New

Post by Lawstudent3000 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks for the help... as far as staying at my current school, I'm pretty dead set on transferring, and my COL will be covered, and perhaps a decent portion of the 100k tuition cost.

Understanding that Michigan is a superior school with better job prospects, the decision seems to come down for me, comparing the college town in Michigan vs D.C. I do want to have a good experience the next two years and am concerned that being in Detroit/Ann Arbor might be a bit sucky.

Also, the harsh winter is a bit of a turn off for me as well.

At this point I get that at the end of the day I'll have to make a decision, but man it's a tough one for me. thanks to all

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:35 pm

As an alum of both schools (UMich UG and GULC) I'll offer some insight.

I don't think you'll get bored or tired of Ann Arbor in 2 years. It's a great place to spend a few years. Detroit is less than an hour away so you could have some stuff to do there and Chicago is about a 4 hour drive for a long weekend.

Winter can be bad both places. In Ann Arbor, we got 9 inches of snow in one night in DC we got 27. It just depends on the year.

UM's law schools and law library are much nicer than GULC's.

I don't know anything about UM's OCI but if people say it's better I would take them at their word.

As a transfer to GULC I got my job through OCI but I also came from a local T2 school.

Miami wouldn't be a bad place to stay. I've visited many times but I understand the legal market isn't great there outside a few firms.

Congrats on two great choices. If I were you I'd visit both and check them out and see which you like better. It's worth the weekend flight IMO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”