Has anybody ever transferred from Cooley to John Marshall Chicago Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ariannagriffinrin

New

Has anybody ever transferred from Cooley to John Marshall Chicago

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Howdy doody!

After much thought and prayer, I decided to apply to John Marshall Law School in Chicago... And I GOT IN! I was so excited in December.

Now, though, I am petrified. I would be transferring from Cooley weekends and into John Marshall evenings. I am petrified, because if I withdraw from Cooley and I totally bombed my finals, then I'm out of law school forever.

I wasn't very confident in my exams this go round'. If I am honest, I'm never too confident, but now I am petrified, because of everything riding on this. I don't get grades from Cooley until after school starts at John Marshall. So if I fail a class and submit my official transcripts for this past semester and they aren't satisfactory then I've withdrawn from Cooley and I get kicked out of JMLS and there's no where for me to go. No law school will let me in. I have had migraines, chest pains and shortness of breath over this.

Cooley weekend classes resume this weekend (Jan. 7th). My time to make a decision is limited. Should I defer JMLS? Should I just stay at Cooley? I don't know what to do. I am absolutely at my wits end, in fear. What if I failed a class? What if my GPA tanks. This semester for me was exceptionally hard, because of personal and family stuff going on and I am so, so scared. I know I keep saying this, but I just don't want to mess this up.

When I walked into my con law final, I froze and didn't know practically ANYTHING on it.

Does anyone have a similar experience or know if anybody who does? I am literally panic stricken. This is all I dream about. I can't eat. I can't sleep. It is a heavy burden and I want to do the right thing.

Please help me.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Has anybody ever transferred from Cooley to John Marshall Chicago

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Why did you want to transfer to JMLS? Are you going to be paying sticker price at JMLS? If so, definitely do not do that. What do you want to do with your law degree and where do you want to live?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 pm

As I recall, you had to drive a ridiculously long way to go to Cooley. Just take the chance. Go to JMLS if you're set on continuing law school. Nothing you can do at this point will change the grades. You'll find out when you find out.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:15 am

Setting aside whether you should transfer/attend law school/stay at cooley, etc... I seriously doubt you'll fail a class. May do poorly, but I doubt you'll fail. John Marshall has you on the hook for full tuition (or close to it?)... they are gonna let some measly grades get in the way of that $$$$

ariannagriffinrin

New

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:18 am

trebekismyhero wrote:Why did you want to transfer to JMLS? Are you going to be paying sticker price at JMLS? If so, definitely do not do that. What do you want to do with your law degree and where do you want to live?
It's closer to home, Cooley is a 4.5 hour drive on the weekends and longer if the weather is worse. I will be paying sticker price as no scholarships are available until I finish my first semester at least. I want to stay and work for the company I work for now. And live in Chicago. Thank you :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ariannagriffinrin

New

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:20 am

lawman84 wrote:As I recall, you had to drive a ridiculously long way to go to Cooley. Just take the chance. Go to JMLS if you're set on continuing law school. Nothing you can do at this point will change the grades. You'll find out when you find out.
Hey Lawman84! That's a good point, I was just hoping before withdrawing completely I would have a gauge of where I was at. :/, but that is true. Thank you :)

ariannagriffinrin

New

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:21 am

RaceJudicata wrote:Setting aside whether you should transfer/attend law school/stay at cooley, etc... I seriously doubt you'll fail a class. May do poorly, but I doubt you'll fail. John Marshall has you on the hook for full tuition (or close to it?)... they are gonna let some measly grades get in the way of that $$$$
Hahahahaha!!! I never thought of that lol. Hilarious! :) Thank you, this made me smile and laugh way too loud! :)

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:25 am

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:Why did you want to transfer to JMLS? Are you going to be paying sticker price at JMLS? If so, definitely do not do that. What do you want to do with your law degree and where do you want to live?
It's closer to home, Cooley is a 4.5 hour drive on the weekends and longer if the weather is worse. I will be paying sticker price as no scholarships are available until I finish my first semester at least. I want to stay and work for the company I work for now. And live in Chicago. Thank you :)
Paying sticker at JMLS is a truly terrible idea, but you do you. As others have said JMLS won't risk losing out on that money.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:33 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
Paying sticker at JMLS is a truly terrible idea, but you do you. As others have said JMLS won't risk losing out on that money.

Please do not take this as me being rude, but what do you think is the best course of action?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Neither of these law schools should even exist, I don't know what to tell you
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:54 pm

I'll be the first to call flame here.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:59 pm

BasilHallward wrote:I'll be the first to call flame here.
Flame? What does that mean?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:12 pm

The good thing is that, no matter what you do at this point, you are utterly fucked, so basically just do whatever makes you happy
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:46 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:

Please do not take this as me being rude, but what do you think is the best course of action?
How much will the pay increase be at your company and do you have it in writing that you will get it? Otherwise, I would not get the law degree and save your money because neither Cooley nor JMLS are going to get you much outside of your company

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:41 pm

If flame, its a dedicated effort. A month or two back OP was nervous about failing first semester exams.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:10 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:If flame, its a dedicated effort. A month or two back OP was nervous about failing first semester exams.
What is flame? I am so confused. That is still my biggest concern... I took the exams in December and during exams I found out about JMLS. And I didn't feel very good about exams when they were done. One of my nieces had a lot going on this term and it was just overall crazy, but that's part of the reason I am hesitant to withdraw from Cooley, because if I bombed a final or two, then I'm out at both Cooley and JMLS.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:15 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:If flame, its a dedicated effort. A month or two back OP was nervous about failing first semester exams.
What is flame? I am so confused. That is still my biggest concern... I took the exams in December and during exams I found out about JMLS. And I didn't feel very good about exams when they were done. One of my nieces had a lot going on this term and it was just overall crazy, but that's part of the reason I am hesitant to withdraw from Cooley, because if I bombed a final or two, then I'm out at both Cooley and JMLS.
I'll be the bearer of bad news. Flame is when someone is making something up. No offense, but your plan is a bit asinine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ariannagriffinrin

New

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:24 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
ariannagriffinrin wrote:
I'll be the bearer of bad news. Flame is when someone is making something up. No offense, but your plan is a bit asinine.
Thanks for telling me what that means, I literally googled it and didn't see anything, but obvious flames lol. Do you think that staying at Cooley is the best bet? Or like a previous poster said either way it doesn't matter. I was happy to get in because it's closer to home and I put the transfer bug into my bosses ear and they were willing to adjust my schedule on the nights that I have class. I did speak with another co-worker who is an attorney and she recommended that I go back to Cooley and see if I can get into another school, but I wanted to avoid the winter, because driving back and forth in the midst of a snow storm is terrible.

Isaac_Adelman

New

Post by Isaac_Adelman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:58 am

Honestly, I transferred from JMLS to U of Chicago. Some of the people that went to JMLS, are doing well. I think that you need to weigh your cost analysis. Is it cheaper in the long run for you to stay at Cooley (do you have friends that you can stay with or are you hoteling?) What is the wear and tear on your vehicle, provided you drive and don't take the Amtrak. Also, is not having a weekend to recoup worth it? While at JMLS, there were a few students who transferred in from Cooley, not sure if it was weekends or not. I would get in writing from your job that they plan to retain you for their legal department, upon successful completion. I think that where you go to law school matters, however I have friends who graduated from T14 and aren't doing crap. They're lazy. On the same token, I have friends who went to Cooley, JMLS, NIU, Valpo etc. and are doing great. It's relative to the student and if you're a hustler and are driven and motivated then put your best foot forward, go to the best law school that you could go to and get the hell out of dodge at Cooley. At least with being in Chi-town you have a better chance at networking.

Hope this helps love.

Kali the Annihilator

Platinum

Post by Kali the Annihilator » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 am

Isaac_Adelman wrote:I think that where you go to law school matters, however I have friends who graduated from T14 and aren't doing crap. They're lazy. On the same token, I have friends who went to Cooley, JMLS, NIU, Valpo etc. and are doing great. It's relative to the student
Success for some != generalized claim that success is relative to the student.

ariannagriffinrin

New

Post by ariannagriffinrin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Kali the Annihilator wrote:
Isaac_Adelman wrote:I think that where you go to law school matters, however I have friends who graduated from T14 and aren't doing crap. They're lazy. On the same token, I have friends who went to Cooley, JMLS, NIU, Valpo etc. and are doing great. It's relative to the student
I think you both are right. I do know Cooley students who are rocking it out, but then there are some who are working as waiters and waitresses. I think that who you are and your drive are extremely important.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:23 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:
I think you both are right. I do know Cooley students who are rocking it out, but then there are some who are working as waiters and waitresses. I think that who you are and your drive are extremely important.
And your school. Your school is also very important. That's kinda the point.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:31 pm

ariannagriffinrin wrote:

And a good (albeit not absolute) indicator of this drive is one's GPA, LSAT, and mental/financial preparation for law school. You came to a site entitled "TopLawSchools". The cold, hard truth is that both of these schools (especially Cooley) are statistically disastrous for career outcomes. I'm being over-simplistic because this reeks of flame or extremely uninformed. Do something else. Law school is not for everybody. It's honestly nothing to be ashamed about. Law school sucks in many ways.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”