Is Emory Law Worth the Price Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Emory Law Worth the Price

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:49 pm

Emory Law has a sticker price of about $51,000. They are ranked 22nd. Is it worth the tuition spike to transfer to Emory from a Tier 4 school where I had a decent scholarship? Do you think Emory has the opportunities, network, and prestige that they're claiming - or should I save my money?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Re: Is Emory Law Worth the Price

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:47 pm

Where do you want to work after graduation and how big of a debt load will you have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:16 pm

Mr. Archer wrote:Where do you want to work after graduation and how big of a debt load will you have?
I am interested in mid/big sized law + complex civil litigation. I wouldn't mind scaling down to a smaller firm after a while though. Total debt load (with undergrad and 1L year) would be about $180k - $190k

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:33 pm

probably not

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:34 pm

You definitely need to transfer somewhere if you want big law. But what other transfer options do you have and where do you want to practice? You'd need to be towards the top of the class to really achieve what you want. If you have a cheaper option, I think that would be a better move since nothing is guaranteed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:45 pm

No

/close thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:47 pm

eagle2a wrote:probably not
What's your reasoning

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:49 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:No

/close thread
reasoning?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:52 pm

Mr. Archer wrote:You definitely need to transfer somewhere if you want big law. But what other transfer options do you have and where do you want to practice? You'd need to be towards the top of the class to really achieve what you want. If you have a cheaper option, I think that would be a better move since nothing is guaranteed.
It's all or nothing transfer wise. Tier 4 school is a hell of a lot cheaper - but does it really all come down to price? Emory is a huge step up from my current LS, but it seems like from the forums I've read on here that if you aren't at a t-14 then your SOL anyways. What are your thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:19 pm

Ah. It's tough to say since you don't have other options and haven't given lots of details about yourself. Emory would be a step up and an Emory degree would definitely be better over the course of your career, but that's a lot of debt to take on. Like I said, you'll need to be towards the top of the class to get big law. It's hard for anyone to get a job right now, and Emory's bar passage has been falling. Be sure to look at the employment and bar passage statistics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:34 pm

Mr. Archer wrote:Ah. It's tough to say since you don't have other options and haven't given lots of details about yourself. Emory would be a step up and an Emory degree would definitely be better over the course of your career, but that's a lot of debt to take on. Like I said, you'll need to be towards the top of the class to get big law. It's hard for anyone to get a job right now, and Emory's bar passage has been falling. Be sure to look at the employment and bar passage statistics.
As hard as it is to get jobs right now, do you think I would be more advantaged with a degree from Emory vs a tier 4?

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:56 pm

Yes, you would be more advantaged, especially in the long term. But if you're at the bottom of the class, your job prospects starting out will be similar to good grades at a low-ranked school. Again, make sure you look at the employment statistics and bar exam passage rates from your current school and compare to Emory.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:39 am

Please advise me on if this is a relevant factor: Emory has law review try outs for transfer students. Does this influence the decision at all?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Please advise me on if this is a relevant factor: Emory has law review try outs for transfer students. Does this influence the decision at all?
Wouldn't affect my decision.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:09 am

190 or 200K is only the real debt level if you get a successful mid/biglaw job. So yeah, probably worth it over a 30 year career. That's something like $8 a day over the lifetime of a career to do what you want to do.

If you don't end up where you want to and have to go government or small firm law, PSLF and PAYE are great government subsidized repayment programs where you won't have to pay back the full $200K before getting debt forgiveness.

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Please advise me on if this is a relevant factor: Emory has law review try outs for transfer students. Does this influence the decision at all?
Heads up, very few transfers make law review. Only one my year.

legit

Bronze

Post by legit » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:32 pm

A transfer will help if you want to practice in Atlanta and your 1L school is not in the South.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:31 pm

There are very few spots for transfers on journals overall, with law review being the most selective. Moot court takes a couple. Mock trial takes a a few. Only a certain amount of spaces are reserved for transfers or created by Emory students transferring. Whether this should sway your decision or not is really up to you based on your ultimate goals.

There's really a lot of factors that could make transferring a good decision (debt, location you want to practice, size of firm you want to be at, any past experience that gives you an edge, URM status, whether you were at a low-ranked school for non-academic reasons, etc.). I'm not sure what all applies to you, and it might help if you talked to someone who transferred to Emory. I went to Emory but didn't transfer. Some transfers I knew did very well and others did not, so I'm not sure whether transferring was worth it for all of them. Like an earlier poster said, a good job means can make a lot of debt no big deal. But you're not guaranteed a good job even if you do fairly well. It's a risk/reward situation.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:37 pm

A fair number of Emory grads secure work at good high paying Atlanta firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:36 am

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:
Heads up, very few transfers make law review. Only one my year.
Go BRAVES! Are you at Emory now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:42 am

Mr. Archer wrote:There are very few spots for transfers on journals overall, with law review being the most selective. Moot court takes a couple. Mock trial takes a a few. Only a certain amount of spaces are reserved for transfers or created by Emory students transferring. Whether this should sway your decision or not is really up to you based on your ultimate goals.

There's really a lot of factors that could make transferring a good decision (debt, location you want to practice, size of firm you want to be at, any past experience that gives you an edge, URM status, whether you were at a low-ranked school for non-academic reasons, etc.). I'm not sure what all applies to you, and it might help if you talked to someone who transferred to Emory. I went to Emory but didn't transfer. Some transfers I knew did very well and others did not, so I'm not sure whether transferring was worth it for all of them. Like an earlier poster said, a good job means can make a lot of debt no big deal. But you're not guaranteed a good job even if you do fairly well. It's a risk/reward situation.
I want to practice here in Atlanta for (at the very least) 5-10 years after law school. Regardless of the firm size, I think starting off at between 80k-100k (this may be naive) is what I would be comfortable beginning with (base salary and/or with bonuses). I have a strong interest in PI but i'm also interested in complex civil litigation. Yes, I am an URM. There are a lot of people in GA who say that if I want to practice in Atlanta, then a local cheaper law school (like gsu) is a no brainer. What are your thoughts??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 am

Mr. Archer wrote:There are very few spots for transfers on journals overall, with law review being the most selective. Moot court takes a couple. Mock trial takes a a few. Only a certain amount of spaces are reserved for transfers or created by Emory students transferring. Whether this should sway your decision or not is really up to you based on your ultimate goals.

Also, I ranked 9th at my tier 4 school. Not great, but not too shabby either. Do you think going to Emory would cause me to lose my rank - or is this just insecurity?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:46 am

Toni V wrote:A fair number of Emory grads secure work at good high paying Atlanta firms.
That's what I've heard. I just wonder if I could get the same job prospects from a cheaper lower tier school if I keep my top 10% rank. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:46 am

KMart wrote:
Wouldn't affect my decision.
Would your decision be to transfer to Emory or not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:48 am

legit wrote:A transfer will help if you want to practice in Atlanta and your 1L school is not in the South.
1L school is also here in Atlanta which makes the decision tough for me. I also want to stay and practice in Atlanta afterwards.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”