T20 w/ LR -> NYU? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unsureperson

New

T20 w/ LR -> NYU?

Post by unsureperson » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:45 am

Hi everyone.

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm sure I join the chorus when I ask for advice from fellow board members.
I'm currently at a T20 school, at the top 15-20% of my class. I am in law review at my current school.

I was accepted to NYU Law and suddenly, my otherwise cozy Tuesday turned upside down. I would love to hear what you folks have to say.

As for my interests, I'm primarily interested in BigLaw, but also strongly want to clerk after graduation. Finances are not an issue.

Last edited by unsureperson on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Re: T20 w/ LR -> NYU?

Post by ticklemesilly » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:49 am

unsureperson wrote:Hi everyone.

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm sure I join the chorus when I ask for advice from fellow board members.
I'm currently at a T20 school, at the top 15-20% of my class. I was accepted into Law Review.

I was just accepted to NYU Law and suddenly, my otherwise cozy Tuesday turned upside down. I would love to hear what you folks have to say.

As for my interests, I'm primarily interested in BigLaw, but also strongly want to clerk after graduation. As for geographic placement, I'm fine with both LA and NYU - they're both big markets, and I have no qualms about moving around. Finances are not an issue.

Congrats! If finances are not an issue, why not go to the school where you will maximize your chances at reaching your goals? Especially if what you want is clerking or biglaw. What percentage of your classmates go into Biglaw every year?

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:52 am

*Disclaimer: I am currently attempting to get admitted to NYU as a transfer student, and you staying put might open up a slot for someone in my situation.*

If your current school consistently places people in your situation into your preferred markets with a decent shot of a clerkship, I'd stay. Just don't see it being worth losing your connections and law review for this one.

unsureperson

New

Post by unsureperson » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:56 am

ticklemesilly wrote:
unsureperson wrote:Hi everyone.

I'm currently at a T20 school, at the top 15-20% of my class. I was accepted into Law Review.

I was just accepted to NYU Law and suddenly, my otherwise cozy Tuesday turned upside down. I would love to hear what you folks have to say.

As for my interests, I'm primarily interested in BigLaw, but also strongly want to clerk after graduation. Finances are not an issue.

Congrats! If finances are not an issue, why not go to the school where you will maximize your chances at reaching your goals? Especially if what you want is clerking or biglaw. What percentage of your classmates go into Biglaw every year?
Thanks for the response. My school has decent biglaw placement. My biggest headache is with law review--it seems as though judges really want people to have LR in order to be competitive. I'm hoping this doesn't come to haunt me later.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:16 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”