Penn v. Columbia Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Penn v. Columbia

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:01 am

Need to make decision today to either mail deposit to Penn or go to Columbia. Also, still waiting on HLS but that is a gamble and a half. Also, want to be in NYC firm for a few years after graduation and to clerk, long-term would like public interest or academia as option.

My current pros for Penn are: less expensive city to live in, seems like happier student body, smaller
Columbia pros: Ranking (minimal difference), LRAP is insane, It's COLUMBIA

What is your gut feeling?! I am so confused and freaking out. TLS, help a girl out!

lawtransfer2016

New

Re: Penn v. Columbia

Post by lawtransfer2016 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:09 am

If I was in your situation. 100% Columbia for long term and short term reasons

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:40 pm

What reasons? I'm really stressing about the finances, and also the general happiness of the students. Penn seems to win on both despite rankings.

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Columbia, though I'd wait to hear from HLS.

Given that you mention Columbia's great LRAP, how much does the cheaper CoA at Penn really matter?

As to people: There will be happy people and stressed out people at both locations. I wouldn't sweat it.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Columbia gets a bad rap for some reason, but it's not substantially better or worse than any other T14(at least from what I have heard).

ETA: you're right though, housing is stupid expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Go to CLS. The point of Penn v. NYC being a bit cheaper to live doesn't have much relevance for me... a Biglaw job will pay off the difference in your rent over the years in like 3 weeks.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:12 pm

If you want to live and work in NYC, Columbia is a pretty obvious choice.

Housing is more expensive, but the university owned and provided housing options mitigate the cost differential.

Columbia is easily worth the whatever few thousand for a new york based attorney.

whatwhatinthebutt

New

Post by whatwhatinthebutt » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:20 pm

You can get NYC biglaw from both. As far as housing, university owned isn't going to "mitigate the difference." Cheapest thing to do would be to commute in from the Bronx, which is doable.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:39 pm

whatwhatinthebutt wrote:You can get NYC biglaw from both.
Sure, you can get big law from both. Hell, if OP has the 1L grades to transfer to either Penn or CLS, OP can probably get NYC big law from his or her current law school. But the question is which school gives you the best options for NYC big law. And I think CLS is a little better than Penn in that regard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:49 pm

whatwhatinthebutt wrote:You can get NYC biglaw from both. As far as housing, university owned isn't going to "mitigate the difference." Cheapest thing to do would be to commute in from the Bronx, which is doable.
I said mitigate, not erase.

And obviously commuting from lower COL boroughs would reduce rental costs, but that's beside the point and not a realistic option for law students that want to engage with their community or persons not very familiar with the city.

What is your point

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:57 pm

lawtransfer2016 wrote:If I was in your situation. 100% Columbia for long term and short term reasons
+1

I xferd to CLS, OP. You should too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:43 am

The Columbia campus might have been the final factor - so beautiful. CLS here I come, feeling pretty lucky to have had such a great decision to make. Thanks for all your advice!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”