Chance Me Please Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chance Me Please

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi everyone

The last grade I was holding out on dropped yesterday, but ranking has not posted. I'm at a westcoast TT with a 3.69 - which is historically exactly at top 15% or just barely outside of it, depending on the year.

Not a K-JD, worked two years before law school and was Teach for America (if any of that matters - plus a Fed District Judge Externship for this summer).

I have apps in at USC, UCLA, Berkley, GULC, NYU, ND and NU. (hoping for UCLA or better) I'm really just looking for access to BigLaw.

Please let me know what you think my chances are, I want to have realistic expectations so I don't let myself down.

Thanks!

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Re: Chance Me Please

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:03 am

Probably in at ND, UCLA and USC. GULC probably in also, but you would've been better served applying earlier. No way NYU. Probably not NU.

Your chances of biglaw aren't great from any of the ones you're likely to get into.

UCLAHopeful16

New

Post by UCLAHopeful16 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone

The last grade I was holding out on dropped yesterday, but ranking has not posted. I'm at a westcoast TT with a 3.69 - which is historically exactly at top 15% or just barely outside of it, depending on the year.

Not a K-JD, worked two years before law school and was Teach for America (if any of that matters - plus a Fed District Judge Externship for this summer).

I have apps in at USC, UCLA, Berkley, GULC, NYU, ND and NU. (hoping for UCLA or better) I'm really just looking for access to BigLaw.

Please let me know what you think my chances are, I want to have realistic expectations so I don't let myself down.

Thanks!
I got in to UCLA with the same stats. I haven't heard back from USC yet, but I'm definitely going to UCLA. I also got in to Notre Dame.

The T14 schools are tougher. You might have a chance at GULC, although I'm not sure that's better than UCLA if you want to work on the west coast. You might be out at Berkley, NYU, and NU.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:46 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:Probably in at ND, UCLA and USC. GULC probably in also, but you would've been better served applying earlier. No way NYU. Probably not NU.

Your chances of biglaw aren't great from any of the ones you're likely to get into.

No BigLaw at UCLA ... why?

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:Probably in at ND, UCLA and USC. GULC probably in also, but you would've been better served applying earlier. No way NYU. Probably not NU.

Anecdotally, transfers don't do super well at T20 schools at OCI, which makes sense given that roughly ~2/3 of natives there don't get jobs from OCI.

UCLAHopeful16

New

Post by UCLAHopeful16 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:32 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anecdotally, transfers don't do super well at T20 schools at OCI, which makes sense given that roughly ~2/3 of natives there don't get jobs from OCI.
I don't want to seem like I'm just saying this because I'm going to UCLA, but if you look at past years, transfers have done pretty well at UCLA's OCI.

I think it depends on your bidding strategy and how familiar interviewers are with your original school. I don't think transfers will get offers at the more selective firms, but if you bid right I think you'll be fine.

UCLA was 40% BigLaw last year and 5% clerkship. I think you could prob squeeze in somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”