Crazy to transfer to lower-ranked school? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Crazy to transfer to lower-ranked school?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:59 pm

I just finished 1L year at Maurer and love the school and professors, but I don't want to end up in Indiana. I'm quickly realizing that I don't have access to certain job postings like schools in Chicago do. I'm from there and want to end up there. Would it make me the dumbest law student in history to transfer from Maurer to a lower-ranked school like Kent in order to have greater networking opportunities? (Also, no disrespect whatsoever to Kent students--I should've gone there to begin with.) To me, the ranking doesn't seem to mean much, and with second summer to think about shortly I'm considering doing whatever will help me land a job at a Chicago firm. By the way, I am absolutely not looking for biglaw, I'm looking for a small to mid-size firm in Chicago. Networking from Indiana has also been difficult for the obvious reason that I don't live in Chicago anymore and I'm rarely there during week days. My class rank hasn't come out yet but given Maurer's curve, I'll be in about the middle.

Thanks for any advice!

BayCat24

New

Re: Crazy to transfer to lower-ranked school?

Post by BayCat24 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just finished 1L year at Maurer and love the school and professors, but I don't want to end up in Indiana. I'm quickly realizing that I don't have access to certain job postings like schools in Chicago do. I'm from there and want to end up there. Would it make me the dumbest law student in history to transfer from Maurer to a lower-ranked school like Kent in order to have greater networking opportunities? (Also, no disrespect whatsoever to Kent students--I should've gone there to begin with.) To me, the ranking doesn't seem to mean much, and with second summer to think about shortly I'm considering doing whatever will help me land a job at a Chicago firm. By the way, I am absolutely not looking for biglaw, I'm looking for a small to mid-size firm in Chicago. Networking from Indiana has also been difficult for the obvious reason that I don't live in Chicago anymore and I'm rarely there during week days. My class rank hasn't come out yet but given Maurer's curve, I'll be in about the middle.

Thanks for any advice!
Don't do this. It sounds like its already too late, but I would have advised taking a summer position in Chicago this summer. You can still "network" with Chicago firm, it just going to take some hustle. Start by finding Indiana alums in Chicago and go from there.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”