Letters of Recommendation Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Letters of Recommendation

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:30 pm

It seems like I will have my spring grades right around (either shortly before or shortly after) some of the transfer application deadlines. Does this mean I will need to rely solely on my fall professors for LORs?

When is the appropriate time to ask for LORs? Is it better to do this in person or over email? Not sure how to approach this as I almost never went to office hours. But did participate during class and got As. Hope thats enough.

BVest

Platinum

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Post by BVest » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Not necessarily. The profs you pick for LORs need not be your best grades, but rather should be profs who know you and can speak well of you. "Anon is a good student because he got an A on my exam" tells an ad comm nothing that they couldn't get from looking at your transcript.

Some profs won't be willing to write for you before you complete their class, but some will.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:31 pm

My LOR was from my LRW professor who was my lowest grade for the semester but the one who I knew the best and who best knew me. I am assuming all your grades are good so I don't think it matters whether you go an A or B+ in the class.

I would ask long before the end of the semester and deadlines because they will get distracted.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems like I will have my spring grades right around (either shortly before or shortly after) some of the transfer application deadlines. Does this mean I will need to rely solely on my fall professors for LORs?

When is the appropriate time to ask for LORs? Is it better to do this in person or over email? Not sure how to approach this as I almost never went to office hours. But did participate during class and got As. Hope thats enough.
LoR #1: Fall, A-
LoR #2: Fall, A-
LoR #3: Spring, A

Those were my 3 LoRs, the classes and semesters. The first two I asked for in February before I applied to transfer. I wanted them early but they didn't send them in until May when I began putting together my transfer applications, but they knew I wanted them so they got them done very quickly when i came back asking for them to be written.

My grades were in by the end of May so I asked one of the profs to write it and he had it down and out in a few days because he was a saint, so maybe approach the profs early and say you'll be asking for one once grades come in and if they wouldn't mind writing one when the time comes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”