T1 (40-50) to Berkeley/Stanford/Chicago (ED) chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
itS_All_Good_Man

New

T1 (40-50) to Berkeley/Stanford/Chicago (ED) chances

Post by itS_All_Good_Man » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:37 pm

East Coast T1 40-50
3.7-3.8; Top 6%
4 years WE

What are my chances for Berkeley/Stanford/Chicago(ED)? Are my chances at UCB and S so small that I should fully commit to ED Chicago?

I definitely want to transfer to either the west coast or U of Chicago if possible. Have family in Chicago who went to undergrad there and friends out west. I don't think my chances are great at any of these schools, but I want to end up in NorCal/San Fran if at all possible. I have already applied to USC (EA) and will apply to UCLA, which I am relatively confident about. Not really feeling the NE, DC, or other Midwest schools.

Given that I want to end up in BigLaw/Corporate GC San Fran, are my chances so small at my preference schools (UCB and Stanford) that I should risk an ED to Chicago? Is Chicago even plausible in itself given my stats? Also, I am thinking Chicago would give me a better chance at BigLaw/GC in San Fran than UCLA/USC would. Is that wrong to assume?

sflyr2016

Bronze

Re: T1 (40-50) to Berkeley/Stanford/Chicago (ED) chances

Post by sflyr2016 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:41 pm

given that one bad semester could destroy your chances of transferring at all, and given that you want BigLaw in the west coast, I would apply UChi ED. FWIW, a friend of mine got in from an east coast t1 without about your stats -- top 5% or so.
Last edited by sflyr2016 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

sdancer89

New

Post by sdancer89 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Got into B with those stats last year, but know of people with similar numbers who didn't. It can really be a black box.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:08 am

If you were at a Cali law school, I'd say Stanford was possible. But it'll be really tough for a person at an East Coast school. I was at an East Coast school in the same range with top 1% grades last year and Stanford rejected me. I didn't have your work experience, though.

Berkeley and Chicago are both possible. If you're good with Chicago, nothing wrong with EDing now. Lessens the risk. If you really want Berkeley and California, I'd wait and take the risk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”