Transfer Chance Me Please! Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer Chance Me Please!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:49 pm

Ended first semester at T20 with top 20% (3.75). I am dead set on transferring out barring a scholarship negotiation that lands me a full ride (near impossible).

I am thinking to:
ED
UChi
RD:
Columbia
NYU
U PENN
Northwestern
Berkeley

What are my chances at those? Do I need to put in significant effort and pull up my GPA? Any thoughts/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

jphiggo

Bronze

Re: Transfer Chance Me Please!

Post by jphiggo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 pm

I would not feel comfortable with your current grades as a lock at any of those schools. Crazier things have happened, but you have access to the same data that we have on TLS (namely, the admission stats threads of years past) and most admissions being reported from T20s is <= top 15%, with a majority being <= top 10%. To answer your question: If I were you, I would focus on pulling your GPA up as much as you can this semester.

tebowtime23

New

Post by tebowtime23 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ended first semester at T20 with top 20% (3.75). I am dead set on transferring out barring a scholarship negotiation that lands me a full ride (near impossible).

I am thinking to:
ED
UChi
RD:
Columbia
NYU
U PENN
Northwestern
Berkeley

What are my chances at those? Do I need to put in significant effort and pull up my GPA? Any thoughts/advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I'm actually in almost the same situation. 3.82 (top 15%) at a T20. I'm not dead set on transferring, but would like to move to a school on the east coast (want to practice Big Law on East Coast). If you look at some of those school's transfer GPA ranges on the ABA disclosures - you'll find that your GPA is in range for a couple of the schools you listed. I am curious about that, though, because everything I've seen on here makes it seem like you need to be top 10% to have a good chance. Anybody else have any thoughts on that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:36 pm

I think in general TLS seems conservative when weighing these. 3.82 seems near the median for the schools yo've mentioned, and I think the fact that you're applying from a T20 should prove a boon in your case.

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:39 pm

For OP, you probably would have been a lock at GULC EA but I think that has passed. You should still apply there RD anyways because barring a terrible second semester you would be in (whether or not you actually make the leap is up to you). While transfer GPA's are on the 509, they cannot really be trusted because one school's top 10% won't be the same as another's. I would focus on improving your class rank and getting all the other things you need for transfer (transcript, recommendation(s)) then you can see where things stand after spring semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”