Transfer (Chance Me) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer (Chance Me)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Looking to transfer to Fordham from a lower tier 2.

Was 33% this semester. Looking at hopefully getting into the top 25%. My GPA was 3.13. Top 25% would of been a 3.2.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions. Im looking to work in a large city/firm in the northeast. Any other schools you would recommend to achieve this?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Transfer (Chance Me)

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Isn't likely that you are going to get a biglaw job outta fordham as a transfer with those numbers. Do your best to kill it this semester - 4.0 + cali's (although i don't think those matter much), and transfer to T14 if you move up the ranks quite a bit.

ETA: no way to realistic chance it unless you have 2 semesters worth of grades. As of now, you are out at UChi ED and Georgetown EA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Not necessarily looking for biglaw. Just mean a larger firm in general.

But as far as my GPA and %ile what would you deem my chances of even getting in?

thricelawyer9

New

Post by thricelawyer9 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not necessarily looking for biglaw. Just mean a larger firm in general.

But as far as my GPA and %ile what would you deem my chances of even getting in?
Chances of Fordham are not great right now. Good news is that you're only through one semester. The problem with Fordham is that they are not very transfer friendly. They only took 13 transfers last year, and the 25% GPA was 3.28. If you kill it this semester, you can get your GPA at the 50% level which is 3.33 and will have a good shot. Use it as motivation and try to crank it out this semester.

I would also throw an app to Emory and any other 40-50 school that interests you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 pm

thricelawyer9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not necessarily looking for biglaw. Just mean a larger firm in general.

Chances of Fordham are not great right now. Good news is that you're only through one semester. The problem with Fordham is that they are not very transfer friendly. They only took 13 transfers last year, and the 25% GPA was 3.28. If you kill it this semester, you can get your GPA at the 50% level which is 3.33 and will have a good shot. Use it as motivation and try to crank it out this semester.

I would also throw an app to Emory and any other 40-50 school that interests you.

I have no desire to work in the deep south so would transferring to Emory be a good choice. I know its highly ranked but would the school still pull weight against lower ranked schools in the Northeast (Where I want to live)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Fordham does not allow transfers to participate in OCI.
Just go to GW. A friend who was bottom 25% at a T2 got in last year.
He was rejected everywhere else he applied.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 pm

reasonableperson wrote:Fordham does not allow transfers to participate in OCI.

Bottom 25% and got in to George Washington law? I find that hard to believe. I think you mean top 25%? But where else did your friend apply? I have though about GW though..

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Bottom 25% and got in to George Washington law? I find that hard to believe. I think you mean top 25%? But where else did your friend apply? I have though about GW though..
I swear, bottom 25%. I asked him. He had a 2.81 GPA.
I guess thinking back, it isn't that improbable, considering GW takes like 100-150 transfers.

This guy blanketed the T25 (Yes, Yale, Harvard, etc) plus BU, BC, ND, and Fordham.
He only got into GW, but is doing well. We keep in touch regularily.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:52 pm

reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I guess thinking back, it isn't that improbable, considering GW takes like 100-150 transfers.

This guy blanketed the T25 (Yes, Yale, Harvard, etc) plus BU, BC, ND, and Fordham.
Wow. Not to disrespect your friend but that kinda makes me look down on GW. I would not consider the bottom 25% at my t2 to be the most intelligent. Seems like they just wanted his money ... is he competing well there?

Did your friend have any connection to GW or know anyone to help get him in ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mohdban

Bronze

Post by mohdban » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:54 pm

That is how diploma mills stay alive in this market; MONEEEEEEEYYYYYSSSSS

thricelawyer9

New

Post by thricelawyer9 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:

I have no desire to work in the deep south so would transferring to Emory be a good choice. I know its highly ranked but would the school still pull weight against lower ranked schools in the Northeast (Where I want to live)?
Probably wouldn't be a good choice. Are there any other T1's in your desired practice area you wouldn't mind going to?

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
reasonableperson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wow. Not to disrespect your friend but that kinda makes me look down on GW. I would not consider the bottom 25% at my t2 to be the most intelligent. Seems like they just wanted his money ... is he competing well there?

Did your friend have any connection to GW or know anyone to help get him in ?
He applied EA transfer and was waitlisted.
He struck out at OCI, and is looking at JD-advantage work in politics/lobbying.
He's very optimistic and I'm rooting for him.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:15 am

thricelawyer9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thricelawyer9 wrote:

Probably wouldn't be a good choice. Are there any other T1's in your desired practice area you wouldn't mind going to?
I really have no problem going to any school. I'm really open to any school that can help my chances of succeeding in the future. Have any suggestions of places I should apply to get a job in PA or NY that I have a decent shot of getting in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”