MVP (3.7) to T6 LOR Question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MVP (3.7) to T6 LOR Question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:12 am

Straight A-'s after first semester is leading me to consider a transfer to HYS or Columbia/NYU. I wasn't considering this at all until I got my grades back, and, unfortunately, I didn't really develop any relationships with my professors.

I spoke in class sometimes and occasionally went to office hours of a well-regarded visiting prof, but I'm worried that asking him would result in a more lukewarm letter than if I consciously tried to build connections with professors this semester.

HLS's deadline is June 15, which could be right around when I get grades. Would it make sense to ask one of these second semester professors even without having received grades yet?

For context, my friends and family are in NYC (went to undergrad there) and I plan to practice there, too. My interest is PI, so I'd also like HYS's loan forgiveness.

clshopeful

Bronze

Re: MVP (3.7) to T6 LOR Question

Post by clshopeful » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:53 am

I have no idea

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:56 am

The fact that you did well and did show up to office hours, however little, will most likely be more than fine. I obtained LORs from LRW and 2 doctrinal professors, one of which I never attended their office hours. I also rarely spoke up in class. All three of them provided great recommendations. Don't overthink this too much. I think the best thing you can do is create a packet for each of them. Include in the packet your resume, a copy of your transcript, and either your original or transfer personal statement (so they can get to know a little bit more about you). I would also suggest including the LOR recommendation form from LSAC and a pre-addressed and stamped envelope for them (although they will most likely just use the online LSAC upload service). The easier you make it for them, the better.

To each their own, but I was pretty straight to the point with each of my professors when I met with them. I sat down with them and asked their advice about transferring and then asked them for a LOR. You will likely find that your professors will want to give you their advice and are generally willing to write recommendations on your behalf. This isn't something that's new to them.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:34 am

If you have any sort of scholarship, transferring a few spots up in us news and giving it up doesn't make any sense (maybe unless you could transfer to yls but 3.7 prolly isn't strong enough)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”