Worth it to go from T20? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer?

Yes
60%
No
5%
Yes, but consider other schools
35%
Wouldn't be accepted at YHS/Chi
No votes

Total votes: 20

Anonymous User

Worth it to go from T20?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:09 pm

I know it may be a little early since only one semester of grades are in but I received my first semester's grades a few days ago from a T20 and I'm now considering the possibility of transferring. What I'm torn over is whether or not it would be worth it to transfer for long-term possibilities/"prestige". Assuming I maintain next semester, I anticipate being relatively "biglaw secure". My short term goal is definitely biglaw or possibly clerking then biglaw but I'm a bit unsure about what I'd like to do further down the road. I think, if possible, boutique litigation would be ideal (but who knows what I'll think as time goes on).

Would it be worth it to transfer with these vague goals when I'm probably safe where I'm at in the short term? I have about a 1/3 scholarship that I'd be giving up. I'd probably only consider YHS/Chi and would just stay if those didn't pan out. GPA is >3.9 so I think I'd have a shot.

TetrisBlock

Bronze

Re: Worth it to go from T20?

Post by TetrisBlock » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:22 pm

1/3 scholarship? You'd only be looking at an additional 60k in debt to transfer, correct? There's not a huge incentive to stay. I voted yes but consider other (more) schools. I think you should apply to YHS/Chi because why not, but you should also apply to Columbia and NYU at least.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 pm

LJL at applying to Chicago but not NYU & CLS.

OP, what are your grades? What is your rank?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Nebby wrote:LJL at applying to Chicago but not NYU & CLS.

Some people hate NY, nebs. And/or they want the midwest.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:09 pm

Nebby wrote:LJL at applying to Chicago but not NYU & CLS.

That is entirely to do with where I'd like to live, not thinking one is better than the others.

GPA > 3.9, top 5%.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:53 am

You'd easily get H or Chi

YS is impossible to say because they take so few, but S is probably on the table (Y seems to take mostly from within T14)

Also, it's ok to want those schools for whatever reason but it'd be silly to not at least apply to more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:09 am

The biggest reason weighing against transferring is that with the money I will probably make over the next two summers, I could take my loans down to COL only for the next two years. I'm worried that if I transfer, my chance at making that money the second semester might actually be lower and I'll tack on the other $60k, meaning a potential $90k swing into more debt. Would the long term career benefits outweigh that?

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Definitely apply, and to echo other posters I'd widen your scope as well. You may change your mind with the prospect of being able to go to Columbia/NYU on the table, but more importantly, you may be able to negotiate a major increase in scholarship from your current school. You're likely one of the (relatively) few biglaw-bound students they have, and in the all important US News rankings, you are therefore precious to T20s.

It's definitely worth an app or two. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Biglaw1990

Bronze

Post by Biglaw1990 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Last edited by Biglaw1990 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TetrisBlock

Bronze

Post by TetrisBlock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Biglaw1990 wrote:
TetrisBlock wrote:1/3 scholarship? You'd only be looking at an additional 60k in debt to transfer, correct? There's not a huge incentive to stay. I voted yes but consider other (more) schools. I think you should apply to YHS/Chi because why not, but you should also apply to Columbia and NYU at least.
You don't want to have to have to tell people you went to NYU for the rest of your life. Apply only to the prestigious institutions: HYS, Chicago, Columbia, Penn, Duke and Berkeley. :mrgreen:
Hey! NYU was my reach school for law school applications! But I note your Penn avatar, and I think apps should probably be expanded down to Penn and that TLS should start saying T7 based on how well Penn has done with BL+FC percentage (I also think Cornell should jump up a lot in the rankings). But Duke and Berkeley?? NYU is better at biglaw and NYU is the powerhouse at public service that Berkeley wishes it was.

Edit: But you're right. Duke and Berkeley both accept transfers and Berkeley is much better if you want West Coast than NYU and Duke is much better if you want the Southeast. The op should apply to them as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”