Transfer to T30? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer to T30?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:55 am

Quick question:

I currently attend a T2 school in an area with no major market anywhere remotely close, and where the vast majority of students stay in state. I have NO interest in staying in this area/state after law school, and quite frankly, I want out now. I didn't realize I would feel this way about it, and I am not thrilled with the decisions which landed me in this situation, so please, do not lecture me about how I made a stupid decision. I realize this. Moving on...

After 1st semester, rankings aren't out, but based on grades, it seems I should be well-off enough to possibly have a chance at transferring to a top 30-ish school. I have a minimal scholarship at my current school. My question is whether transferring to a school within this range is worth it?

I thank you all, in advance, for your advice.
Additionally, I hope everyone has a [good] crazy New Years Eve and a wonderful New Year!

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Transfer to T30?

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:50 am

It'll obviously depend on grades but you'd likely be best off transferring to a t14 school if you can. If you don't have the grades for t14, I wouldn't worry as much about ranking. Do you know what you want to do after graduating? I'd recommend looking for a school with positive stats for your goals in a market you want to practice in (it's even better if you have ties to that market).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:52 am

lawman84 wrote:It'll obviously depend on grades but you'd likely be best off transferring to a t14 school if you can. If you don't have the grades for t14, I wouldn't worry as much about ranking. Do you know what you want to do after graduating? I'd recommend looking for a school with positive stats for your goals in a market you want to practice in (it's even better if you have ties to that market).

Thanks for your response. I'm really not sure if I'd be able to transfer to a t14, but if not, my undergrad has around a t20 law school. It's in the area in which I would like to work, so I was going to try that. I'm hoping maybe having gone there for undergrad would make me stand out in the transfer applications.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:41 am

What are your grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:23 am

Nebby wrote:What are your grades?
Obviously, I can't be certain until rankings are posted, but looks like I'm in the top 20% currently. So definitely not t14 material...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:25 pm

I imagine that you're competitive, at the very least, for Georgetown. With 100+ matriculating transfers, they probably accept people with stats worse than yours. Even CCN accept quite a few T2 kids.

Also, T30 is a meaningless distinction, and it makes no sense to try to transfer "up" to a school like that.

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:38 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:I imagine that you're competitive, at the very least, for Georgetown. With 100+ matriculating transfers, they probably accept people with stats worse than yours. Even CCN accept quite a few T2 kids.

Also, T30 is a meaningless distinction, and it makes no sense to try to transfer "up" to a school like that.
I disagree here because you have a minimal scholarship, and don't want to be in the market where you current school places. I think a top 30 in the market you want to end up in is better than a T2 in a market where you don't want to end up any day as long as the debt is equivalent (assuming it will be due to minimal scholarship at your current school).

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:What are your grades?
Obviously, I can't be certain until rankings are posted, but looks like I'm in the top 20% currently. So definitely not t14 material...
some 20%ers from TT made gulc

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:44 pm

futago wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:I imagine that you're competitive, at the very least, for Georgetown. With 100+ matriculating transfers, they probably accept people with stats worse than yours. Even CCN accept quite a few T2 kids.

I disagree here because you have a minimal scholarship, and don't want to be in the market where you current school places. I think a top 30 in the market you want to end up in is better than a T2 in a market where you don't want to end up any day as long as the debt is equivalent (assuming it will be due to minimal scholarship at your current school).
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Thank you all so much for the input.

As far as Georgetown, in my situation should I try applying there early decision? I believe Vanderbilt or WashU also has an early decision for transfers. Or is applying early decision binding?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you all so much for the input.

As far as Georgetown, in my situation should I try applying there early decision? I believe Vanderbilt or WashU also has an early decision for transfers. Or is applying early decision binding?
It's called early action, and it's not binding.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”