I missed OCI because of late-ad transfer. Now what? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I missed OCI because of late-ad transfer. Now what?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Background: I transferred to my dream T14 from a TTTT, with barely a top 20% class rank. I didn't compete for law review at my T4 because I expected to transfer. I was added late (I applied late for the natural fear of rejection) and I cannot participate in OCI.

Obviously, the transfer is a no brainer. I am not on any loans, and I will have no debt leaving school. I wasn't highly ranked at my first school, and this school is the most well regarded in my state.

However, I'm really worried about my opportunities for Big Law or Mid Big Law. I've read that because I've missed OCI, Big Law may be completely out of the question. BUT, I also read that with my scores from a TTTT, there was no way I would gain admission to my dream school because of its competitiveness.

What should I do?

runinthefront

Gold

Re: I missed OCI because of late-ad transfer. Now what?

Post by runinthefront » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Just go and hustle
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Without OCI or great grades you're going to have a tough time finding big law. You're right that nothing is off the table per se, but you will have to hustle your ass off. What school in the T14? If it's the top in your state, does that mean GULC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:38 pm

So, let's say

my grades improve and I make law review / moot court

I join a bar association to network

I take some relevant clinics and an interesting internship to network and build my resume

What else can I do to get my foot in the door?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, let's say

my grades improve and I make law review / moot court

I join a bar association to network

I take some relevant clinics and an interesting internship to network and build my resume

What else can I do to get my foot in the door?
Hustle this year...may work out, may not. If you work hard and do well as a 2L at your t14, just apply and mass-mail 3L year with your grades/rank at your new school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Unless OCI already happened, you didn't "miss" OCI. Get on the horn with your new school's career services and figure out a way you can participate. At this point you can't be picky, tell them you'll take interviews with anyone whose left. Look into walk-ins, hospitality rooms, whatever. Mail the fuck out of firms. Hustle hustle hustle. If you can't participate in OCI, you lose a lot of the value of transferring.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:17 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:Unless OCI already happened, you didn't "miss" OCI. Get on the horn with your new school's career services and figure out a way you can participate. At this point you can't be picky, tell them you'll take interviews with anyone whose left. Look into walk-ins, hospitality rooms, whatever. Mail the fuck out of firms. Hustle hustle hustle. If you can't participate in OCI, you lose a lot of the value of transferring.
Yeah even though you missed the bidding deadline, you still can go to hospitality suites and hustle there at the very least. Most schools also have some sort of open add period or something, so see if you can do that. Also definitely contact career services and push them to help you. People have to drop interviews all the time, so see if you can get OCS to hook you up with any of those.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:18 pm

Companion Cube wrote:Without OCI or great grades you're going to have a tough time finding big law. You're right that nothing is off the table per se, but you will have to hustle your ass off. What school in the T14? If it's the top in your state, does that mean GULC?
Lol if it's the top in the state, this precludes GULC.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:45 pm

chuckbass wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:Without OCI or great grades you're going to have a tough time finding big law. You're right that nothing is off the table per se, but you will have to hustle your ass off. What school in the T14? If it's the top in your state, does that mean GULC?
I believe "school" also precludes GULC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:39 pm

chuckbass wrote:
Duh DC isn't a state but I assumed he isn't talking about Duke or Penn

I guess it could be UMich but that means OP out performed his numbers. In which case good for him

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:40 pm

UMich it is. Please don't tell anyone, they'd kill me if they knew I got in with these numbers :mrgreen:

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UMich it is. Please don't tell anyone, they'd kill me if they knew I got in with these numbers :mrgreen:
Im sure Detroit and grand Rapids firms will be receptive if you are a native and you email them.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:45 pm

So OCI is the 4th-7th. Have you looked into at least showing up to hospitality suites or doing other things suggested earlier?
TheUnicornHunter wrote:Unless OCI already happened, you didn't "miss" OCI. Get on the horn with your new school's career services and figure out a way you can participate. At this point you can't be picky, tell them you'll take interviews with anyone whose left. Look into walk-ins, hospitality rooms, whatever. Mail the fuck out of firms. Hustle hustle hustle. If you can't participate in OCI, you lose a lot of the value of transferring.

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Michigan student prepping for OCI here - you definitely still have a chance to get some interviews if you show up this week. People are still dropping interviews and changing their schedules (I've had a few interviews added over the past week) and there's always the opportunity to just sign up the day of interviews. You probably won't have 20ish interviews like the rest of us, but you've still got some chances.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”