old school on your resume after graduation Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jimbola

Bronze

old school on your resume after graduation

Post by Jimbola » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:25 am

I have been going back and forth on whether to keep my old school on my resume now that I've graduated.

Although it shows that I did well my first year and that I have an ambitious drive or whatever I also fear my old school's rep might hurt me.

I feel like I want to take it off just because of the fact that I hate answering the question, "so why did you transfer?"

Anyone's ideas or experiences are appreciated

TransferHopeful17

New

Re: old school on your resume after graduation

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:27 am

I thought listing your old school was restricted to 2L use but could be wrong.

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 am

Jimbola wrote:I have been going back and forth on whether to keep my old school on my resume now that I've graduated.

Although it shows that I did well my first year and that I have an ambitious drive or whatever I also fear my old school's rep might hurt me.

I feel like I want to take it off just because of the fact that I hate answering the question, "so why did you transfer?"

The school I am considering transferring to specifically requires that you include your old school after graduation. (Of course, how would they find out, and if they did what would the penalty be). The only flaw I see in not including it is if when an employer goes to verify that you graduated from X they are told about the fact that you transferred from Y to X. Could be an awkward situation at that point if the employer feels duped. If they don't care you'll be fine anyways.

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:30 am

I would take it off, it's just taking up valuable space at this point.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:39 am

Based on your prior posts, it appears that your old school was Hofstra & you are now at Georgetown. I agree that Hofstra may cause some to trash your resume. Have you discussed this concern with your new career placement office ? They probably have a policy in place since Georgetown has a large transfer class each year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dfg

New

Post by dfg » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:28 am

Gamecockfan wrote:
Jimbola wrote:I have been going back and forth on whether to keep my old school on my resume now that I've graduated.

The school I am considering transferring to specifically requires that you include your old school after graduation. (Of course, how would they find out, and if they did what would the penalty be). The only flaw I see in not including it is if when an employer goes to verify that you graduated from X they are told about the fact that you transferred from Y to X. Could be an awkward situation at that point if the employer feels duped. If they don't care you'll be fine anyways.
How did they tell you it was required? A note from OCPD?
I'll inquire about this with my new OCPD, but it's certainly going to come up down the road when you have to submit transcripts from your old school as a full accounting of your grades and certainly at least through the coming fall semester when we - as transfers - don't have grades at our new schools to draw on.

Gamecockfan

New

Post by Gamecockfan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:34 am

dfg wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:

How did they tell you it was required? A note from OCPD?
I'll inquire about this with my new OCPD, but it's certainly going to come up down the road when you have to submit transcripts from your old school as a full accounting of your grades and certainly at least through the coming fall semester when we - as transfers - don't have grades at our new schools to draw on.
It was tucked away in a note about how to create a transfer resume. So, I guess technically I haven't seen anything official, but I imagine there is something official somewhere if they took the time to note that you have to continue doing this after graduation.

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:52 pm

Gamecockfan wrote:The school I am considering transferring to specifically requires that you include your old school after graduation.
Hahahahaha fuck this. They have precisely zero authority to instruct you to do that. I'd remove my old school out of spite.

During my 2L year, I kept my old school on my resume for a few months, until I'd accumulated enough RA gigs/leadership positions/clinical positions/etc. that my new school section didn't look so small. I then removed it and modified my new school section to say:

New Law School
J.D. Candidate, expected May 2016 (transferred from Old Law School)

For me, the old school section cluttered my resume, and I wanted to use the space to list things like jobs. Acknowledging the old school with a parenthetical is an honest approach that also frees up valuable resume space.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
Gamecockfan wrote:The school I am considering transferring to specifically requires that you include your old school after graduation.
Hahahahaha fuck this. They have precisely zero authority to instruct you to do that. I'd remove my old school out of spite.

During my 2L year, I kept my old school on my resume for a few months, until I'd accumulated enough RA gigs/leadership positions/clinical positions/etc. that my new school section didn't look so small. I then removed it and modified my new school section to say:

New Law School

For me, the old school section cluttered my resume, and I wanted to use the space to list things like jobs. Acknowledging the old school with a parenthetical is an honest approach that also frees up valuable resume space.
Do you really believe it's being dishonest to not list your old school? To me your parenthetical is like putting an asterisk next to a sports record or something. And fwiw, the OCS at my new school suggested only listing the first school while applying for jobs through OCI and the like, then just listing new school only.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:07 pm

sandwhich wrote:Do you really believe it's being dishonest to not list your old school? To me your parenthetical is like putting an asterisk next to a sports record or something. And fwiw, the OCS at my new school suggested only listing the first school while applying for jobs through OCI and the like, then just listing new school only.
I don't see it like an asterisk next to a sports record, because I don't see transferring as shameful. In my case, I chose to keep a parenthetical regarding my old school on my resume because I have some honors from 1L year that I want to list, and I do think it would be dishonest to list random honors from your old school in a way that would suggest that they were given by the new school. Otherwise, I'm not necessarily saying that omitting your old school is dishonest. Some, however, will think it is, and so it's better to just be safe and include it, at least until you graduate and maybe for a year or two after that.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:Do you really believe it's being dishonest to not list your old school? To me your parenthetical is like putting an asterisk next to a sports record or something. And fwiw, the OCS at my new school suggested only listing the first school while applying for jobs through OCI and the like, then just listing new school only.
I don't see it like an asterisk next to a sports record, because I don't see transferring as shameful. In my case, I chose to keep a parenthetical regarding my old school on my resume because I have some honors from 1L year that I want to list, and I do think it would be dishonest to list random honors from your old school in a way that would suggest that they were given by the new school. Otherwise, I'm not necessarily saying that omitting your old school is dishonest. Some, however, will think it is, and so it's better to just be safe and include it, at least until you graduate and maybe for a year or two after that.
Good point about the 1L accolades. I have some I'd really like to keep as well. I might actually consider doing it your way come to think of it.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:28 pm

You generally don't include your old school once you transfer, though you can still keep some reference to it if you want to note specific honors received 1L year (since you don't want to make it look like you achieved those honors at current school, as that would be dishonest)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Since you have already graduated, it's okay to delete your prior law school before transferring to your degree granting school if you have post law school work experience. Not sure what is viewed as slightly dishonest concealment if still seeking your first post law school legal position.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Lol at a school "forcing" you to keep them on your resume after graduating from another school.

You can do what you want during 2L/3L for employment and such, but once you graduate you don't list schools you didn't get a degree from.

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:04 pm

sandwhich wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:

New Law School

Do you really believe it's being dishonest to not list your old school? To me your parenthetical is like putting an asterisk next to a sports record or something. And fwiw, the OCS at my new school suggested only listing the first school while applying for jobs through OCI and the like, then just listing new school only.
This is what I plan on doing, I don't really feel like having people review my resume and ask me why I transferred for more than this year.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:32 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:32 pm

Once you start your first full time job, then you can take it off.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:48 pm

GW career adviser said after 2L is over, you can take off your transfer school. Can't wait.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:27 am

kaiser wrote:You generally don't include your old school once you transfer, though you can still keep some reference to it if you want to note specific honors received 1L year (since you don't want to make it look like you achieved those honors at current school, as that would be dishonest)
As a transfer, I know CCN effectively advised me to keep it on during OCI. Is it okay to drop my old school after OCI?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:01 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
kaiser wrote:You generally don't include your old school once you transfer, though you can still keep some reference to it if you want to note specific honors received 1L year (since you don't want to make it look like you achieved those honors at current school, as that would be dishonest)
As a transfer, I know CCN effectively advised me to keep it on during OCI. Is it okay to drop my old school after OCI?
Once OCI is over, I'm not sure what the purpose would be in keeping it, unless you want to keep specific honors from your 1L year that you think are worth having on there.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:41 am

kaiser wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
Once OCI is over, I'm not sure what the purpose would be in keeping it, unless you want to keep specific honors from your 1L year that you think are worth having on there.

When an employer asks for a transcript and your new school transcript is missing all your 1st year courses, aren't they going to ask what happened to them?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:57 pm

mister logical wrote:
kaiser wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:

When an employer asks for a transcript and your new school transcript is missing all your 1st year courses, aren't they going to ask what happened to them?
If an employer specifically requests transcripts, then you just send from both schools and let them put the pieces together. Should never be a bad thing, since pretty much anyone who transferred had excellent 1L grades, so its always a good thing to wave those around if grades are requested.

I personally keep my old school in my resume for this very reason (i.e. I did particularly well at my 1L school but only so-so at new school). This is pretty much the only reason to keep the old school on there, to highlight grades/honors from that year.

jlanky

New

Post by jlanky » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:02 pm

I took my first school off my resume once I graduated. I have had three jobs since, and have never once been asked about transferring (even though I provided transcripts from my first school in each case). My guess is very few firms care if you transferred as long as they can claim they have a "graduate from school X" working for their firm. That said, I am sure many of the top firms might actually care.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:03 am

kaiser wrote:
mister logical wrote:
kaiser wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:

If an employer specifically requests transcripts, then you just send from both schools and let them put the pieces together. Should never be a bad thing, since pretty much anyone who transferred had excellent 1L grades, so its always a good thing to wave those around if grades are requested.

I personally keep my old school in my resume for this very reason (i.e. I did particularly well at my 1L school but only so-so at new school). This is pretty much the only reason to keep the old school on there, to highlight grades/honors from that year.

Makes perfect sense.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”