GULC WL Poll Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Would you transfer to GULC without a shot at OCI?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 46

Anonymous User

Re: GULC WL Poll

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Hmm it would make sense to keep us waiting if they want to keep us out of EIW. Otherwise there's no clear reason- haven't other T14s' deposit deadlines already passed?

I heard that a decent amount of people are anticipated to be in off the WL, and thus far there's been close to zero movement since 6/26. So either a) the class is full; or b) they're going to admit a large wave after today in order to prevent us from doing EIW and competing with first-years.

registering

New

Post by registering » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Wouldliketotransfer2 wrote:
TTtop13pct wrote:they clearly waitlisted tons of people and have admitted very few of them. I don't understand their strategy.

neither do I. If you look at the admitted students fb group its only like 60 people meanwhile last year had 90 people. Maybe they dont want transfers to participate in OCI thats why theyre making it selective this year. There are many rumors that first years complain about transfers taking away their spots so you never know!
GULC's 1L class of 2017 is something like ~40 more people than the class of 2016. It's probably why they're reluctant to admit more transfers, since it would really strain the availability of jobs/job %s if they were to hit 650+. I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to control the transfer class size to 60, rather than admit 100+ like normal as a result.

amglanyc

New

Post by amglanyc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Just curious who you heard that from?

registering

New

Post by registering » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:10 pm

^It's speculation based on ABA employment and 509 reports. GULC admitted ~40 more students last year and generally has a graduating class of 620-650. Not sure how PTers factor in but the PT class has been stable at 46-50, so fluctuation in class size is probably coming from the variation in the entering class. Admitting 60 transfers assuming a 15-20 student attrition rate (consistent with 509 data) brings the c/o 2017 to ~630 students, give or take. Admitting its normal 100+ would bring it to 670ish, all other things held constant.

Additionally, I'd note that ABA numbers show GULC placing about the same raw number of people into 500+ firms for the past two years (210). Another 60-70 students get 100-500 law firms, with a fluctuating number of people getting AIII clerkships. This seems to be irrespective of the size of the class, suggesting at least a soft cap on GULC's placement.

I'm open to being wrong about this and certainly wish you guys the best, but it may help explain their reticence this year to admit many transfers.
Last edited by registering on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:17 pm

registering wrote:^It's speculation based on ABA employment and 509 reports. GULC admitted ~40 more students last year and generally has a graduating class of 620-650. Not sure how PTers factor in but the PT class has been stable at 46-50, so fluctuation in class size is probably coming from the variation in the entering class. Admitting 60 transfers assuming a 15-20 student attrition rate (consistent with 509 data) brings the c/o 2017 to ~630 students, give or take. Admitting its normal 100+ would bring it to 670ish, all other things held constant.

I'm open to being wrong about this but it may help explain their reticence this year to admit many transfers.
Just b/c there are 60 in the fb group doesn't mean they didn't admit a lot more. Also given the fact that people get into better schools and end up going elsewhere, they probably admitted at least 100 people, TLSers just may have been unlucky this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:19 pm

I am just surprised to have seen 0 movement from the WL. The only person I saw get off was an EA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:22 pm

:(

registering

New

Post by registering » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:33 pm

chuckbass wrote:
registering wrote:^It's speculation based on ABA employment and 509 reports. GULC admitted ~40 more students last year and generally has a graduating class of 620-650. Not sure how PTers factor in but the PT class has been stable at 46-50, so fluctuation in class size is probably coming from the variation in the entering class. Admitting 60 transfers assuming a 15-20 student attrition rate (consistent with 509 data) brings the c/o 2017 to ~630 students, give or take. Admitting its normal 100+ would bring it to 670ish, all other things held constant.

I'm open to being wrong about this but it may help explain their reticence this year to admit many transfers.
Just b/c there are 60 in the fb group doesn't mean they didn't admit a lot more. Also given the fact that people get into better schools and end up going elsewhere, they probably admitted at least 100 people, TLSers just may have been unlucky this year.
I'd think those two factors (the number of people on the FB page, and the number who could probably get into better schools) might cancel each other out. I know when I was admitted to safety schools for 1L, I didn't join their class pages, and people probably who transfer probably want to be even more discrete about it unless they go to a #massexodus school, at least until they're fairly comfortable with the decision. The one confirmed transfer in my class so far certainly didn't join any class pages of the schools they were admitted to until they had made a decision. Of course, you're right that they probably admitted more students if they're targeting a matriculant class size of 60ish.

This is again a lot of speculation on my part, and I certainly don't want to be negative on anyone's prospects here. I think it would just explain why GULC is more willing to WL people this year than it normally is.

Wouldliketotransfer2

Bronze

Post by Wouldliketotransfer2 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:35 pm

registering wrote:
chuckbass wrote:

I'd think those two factors (the number of people on the FB page, and the number who could probably get into better schools) might cancel each other out. I know when I was admitted to safety schools for 1L, I didn't join their class pages, and people probably who transfer probably want to be even more discrete about it unless they go to a #massexodus school, at least until they're fairly comfortable with the decision. The one confirmed transfer in my class so far certainly didn't join any class pages of the schools they were admitted to until they had made a decision. Of course, you're right that they probably admitted more students if they're targeting a matriculant class size of 60ish.

This is again a lot of speculation on my part, and I certainly don't want to be negative on anyone's prospects here. I think it would just explain why GULC is more willing to WL people this year than it normally is.

I didnt know the class numbers but that might make a lot of sense. I used the fb numbers as an estimate of course I know it doesnt reflect reality.

Is everyone waitlisted on both part time and full time? I wonder how that works I know I was automatically put on both but wonder about the others.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Well I am sure we will know something in the next two weeks :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Getting in to GULC at this point would be beyond confusing. I just got my preselect results from OCI at the T30 I enrolled in and managed to get a fair number of interviews, including one at a V10 (no idea how). I got a few alternates too. Giving all that up for GULC with no EIW means I have to rely on mass mailing and luck.

Anyone know if big firms even hire outside OCI programs these days? I imagine the majority don't, but any insight is appreciated.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Getting in to GULC at this point would be beyond confusing. I just got my preselect results from OCI at the T30 I enrolled in and managed to get a fair number of interviews, including one at a V10 (no idea how). I got a few alternates too. Giving all that up for GULC with no EIW means I have to rely on mass mailing and luck.

Anyone know if big firms even hire outside OCI programs these days? I imagine the majority don't, but any insight is appreciated.
They all definitely do, but yeah you'll probably have a better shot with the guaranteed interviews at your school versus crossing your fingers and mass mailing from GULC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Any idea on how feasible it would be to go to GULC and then reschedule interviews with the firms that already preselected me at my "old" school? I see how that might look bad and might inconvenience the firms, but at the end of the day I can't imagine they'd be upset that someone moved up to a T14...right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on how feasible it would be to go to GULC and then reschedule interviews with the firms that already preselected me at my "old" school? I see how that might look bad and might inconvenience the firms, but at the end of the day I can't imagine they'd be upset that someone moved up to a T14...right?
I mean, what reason would they have to reschedule for you when they can just take someone else? It would be an inconvenience for every firm since you wouldn't be on campus when they're scheduled to be there, so they'd have to set up an individual screener with you at another date. I'd imagine you'd have more success with this if you had amazing stats.

TransferHopeful17

New

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on how feasible it would be to go to GULC and then reschedule interviews with the firms that already preselected me at my "old" school?
Not very. Seems like you're set up about as well as you could be at your current school. I know change is interesting and can seem full of new possibility, but sometimes, as in your situation, staying is the smarter option. You've already achieved what the core goal of the transfer process is to most applicants.

milliken834

New

Post by milliken834 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:51 pm

TransferHopeful17 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on how feasible it would be to go to GULC and then reschedule interviews with the firms that already preselected me at my "old" school?
Not very. Seems like you're set up about as well as you could be at your current school. I know change is interesting and can seem full of new possibility, but sometimes, as in your situation, staying is the smarter option. You've already achieved what the core goal of the transfer process is to most applicants.
TransferHopeful17 wrote:
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:46 am

Maybe you guys are saying that to get me to drop off the waitlist :wink: :lol: lol

Very surprised at this cycle. I spoke with them a few weeks ago and was told that the waitlist was small and that they'd take a "good amount" of people off. They also said they were trying to get back to us before July 30.

I'd like to think that today is the day considering they like sending decisions out at the end of the week, but who knows. It's been very strange and frustrating.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amglanyc

New

Post by amglanyc » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:11 am

My correspondence with them has been much less encouraging. Here's hoping that your contact had the real scoop on our prospects and that today is the day the inertia ends.

milliken834

New

Post by milliken834 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:21 am

Has anyone on the waitlist sent in additional LORs? I did, but my status checker never updated. They verified that they received the LOR on 7/1. I just wanted to see if anyone else's updated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:49 am

Yes. Mine updated the day after it was received.

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe you guys are saying that to get me to drop off the waitlist :wink: :lol: lol

Very surprised at this cycle. I spoke with them a few weeks ago and was told that the waitlist was small and that they'd take a "good amount" of people off. They also said they were trying to get back to us before July 30.

I'd like to think that today is the day considering they like sending decisions out at the end of the week, but who knows. It's been very strange and frustrating.
The real question is do I wait on sending out more MM apps until later this afternoon with the possibility of hearing something today ...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amglanyc

New

Post by amglanyc » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:24 am

What are MM apps?

It doesn't seem to me like there is a greater likelihood that we hear something today, than any other day before the 30th. If you have other things that can you can move forward -- If were in your shoes, I would be moving them forward.

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:27 am

amglanyc wrote:What are MM apps?

It doesn't seem to me like there is a greater likelihood that we hear something today, than any other day before the 30th. If you have other things that can you can move forward -- If were in your shoes, I would be moving them forward.
Mass Mail Applications ... I probably will

amw5471

New

Post by amw5471 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:43 am

w7ldcard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe you guys are saying that to get me to drop off the waitlist :wink: :lol: lol

The real question is do I wait on sending out more MM apps until later this afternoon with the possibility of hearing something today ...
I personally think I would send MM apps and then be able to update in a week or two and say "Hey I got into Georgetown" as my follow up email.

Deedee5

New

Post by Deedee5 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:43 pm

I just withdrew! Good luck to one of you

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”