Commit to Matriculate Letter Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Commit to Matriculate Letter

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:49 am

I was wondering if anyone could help shed some light on the requirements after you sign a commit to matriculate letter (i.e., accepting offer of admission). If the school requires a seat deposit, does this mean it is binding? Could I sign the form and place my seat deposit but withdraw if a better opportunity comes around? Any information on the topic would be very helpful as I need to accept an offer of admissions tomorrow. Thank you all for your help. This question is in regards to RD and not ED.

tessie412

New

Re: Commit to Matriculate Letter

Post by tessie412 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 am

I believe I saw something related to this in one of the school specific threads, but I haven't been able to find it. Would be interested to know the definite answer as well.

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 am

The problem is, I think, that there is no definitive answer. This is generally unchartered territory because most wouldn't commit (say, via ED) unless they planned on matriculating. On the one hand, there is clearly something a bit sketchy about breaking any promise. But on the other, I doubt there is much a school can do to hold you to it (but dear god don't hold me to that).

Also, I think that there would be little to no consequence to a transfer student backing out of a binding admission to stay at your home school, but it's much more of a sticky situation when you're backing out to go to a better school than the one that admitted you ED. I think this is so because you now are in the situation of potentially putting both admissions in jeopardy. The binding school may not react, but then again they may. They may happen to be close friends with someone on the admissions committee at your other school (and it would not be difficult for them to figure out what school that is) and give them a call. Would that happen? Who knows. Could it? Certainly. That's what would make me nervous about it.

P.S. Sorry if this is incoherent, I'm running on fumes today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:53 am

OP here: I understand that some early decisions are binding, but I am asking solely about regular decisions. Nothing is stated on any of the offer letters about whether you need to withdraw all other applications once you accept the offer. I am just curious if that is definitely a universal requirement even when the school asks for a seat deposit.

Mr.F

New

Post by Mr.F » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:58 am

Are you talking about Penn specifically?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:59 am

Yes

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: I understand that some early decisions are binding, but I am asking solely about regular decisions. Nothing is stated on any of the offer letters about whether you need to withdraw all other applications once you accept the offer. I am just curious if that is definitely a universal requirement even when the school asks for a seat deposit.
Sorry, I misunderstood. This is a much easier case. The question only becomes if you're willing to lose that deposit money should you accept to a better school. The correct thing to do here is deposit at Penn and withdraw later should you get in elsewhere and forfeit the money. If i'm now understanding your situation, there will be no repercussions.

Mr.F

New

Post by Mr.F » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:04 pm

I've been wondering the same thing, as I also have until tomorrow to send a deposit. I'm 95% sure I'm attending Penn, just waiting for the ding from Columbia, but I digress.

I'm guessing it's non-binding as even though it does say you are committing to matriculate to Penn, it specifically mentions that your deposit is non-refundable. Seems to defeat the purpose of a non-refundable deposit and redundant if you are bound to attend. Also, I seem to remember people quoting an LSAC policy about students having a freedom to choose the school they want. I'm not entirely sure where, but I've seen it on the Transfer thread.

That being said, I don't really know myself and would be interested in a more definitive answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:05 pm

sandwhich wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here: I understand that some early decisions are binding, but I am asking solely about regular decisions. Nothing is stated on any of the offer letters about whether you need to withdraw all other applications once you accept the offer. I am just curious if that is definitely a universal requirement even when the school asks for a seat deposit.
Sorry, I misunderstood. This is a much easier case. The question only becomes if you're willing to lose that deposit money should you accept to a better school. The correct thing to do here is deposit at Penn and withdraw later should you get in elsewhere and forfeit the money. If i'm now understanding your situation, there will be no repercussions.
Thank you for the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr.F

New

Post by Mr.F » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Also, for those that don't know, they require you to put a deposit and sign the commitment to matriculate form to secure your spot, bid for OCI, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:15 pm

Mr.F wrote:Also, for those that don't know, they require you to put a deposit and sign the commitment to matriculate form to secure your spot, bid for OCI, etc.
But even if you do all of that, could you still withdraw if something else comes up? or is that a horrible idea?

Mr.F

New

Post by Mr.F » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr.F wrote:Also, for those that don't know, they require you to put a deposit and sign the commitment to matriculate form to secure your spot, bid for OCI, etc.
But even if you do all of that, could you still withdraw if something else comes up? or is that a horrible idea?
I am wondering the same question. Based on everything I've read on TLS, it seems the answer is yes, you can withdraw. You just lose $500. However, I am not 100% sure on this, and thus am putting it off until the last minute (today).

As far as it being a horrible idea, if you are allowed to withdraw, it probably isn't. Schools understand how this game is played. They know students are still waiting for other acceptances and many are willing to take your deposit $ and you not matriculate.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post removed.

Post by pittsburghpirates » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Post removed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”