Top 20 to NYU/Penn Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 20 to NYU/Penn

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:22 am

I am currently top 5% in my class at a school ranked around 20. I made law review and currently have a decent scholarship.

So far, I have gotten into NYU. I am waiting to hear back from Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, and Penn.

I do not necessarily need to work in a big law firm in New York. Is there any reason to transfer to NYU?

How much is prestige worth and do I get that from NYU and Penn or only from an HYS type of school?

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Top 20 to NYU/Penn

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:30 am

You're top 5% at a t20 and haven't gotten accepted into Harvard yet? That's surprising. It seems like quite a few people who were top 10% were accepted into H already. Did all your information not get in until late in the process?

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive. I also haven't received a decision from H. I'm just surprised that you haven't received one with your numbers.

I think the answer to this question depends a bit on your school and how much additional money it will cost you. It'll also depend on your future goals. You say you don't necessarily want to work biglaw in New York, where do you want to work?

Got30

New

Post by Got30 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 am

lawman84 wrote:You're top 5% at a t20 and haven't gotten accepted into Harvard yet? That's surprising. It seems like quite a few people who were top 10% were accepted into H already. Did all your information not get in until late in the process?

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive. I also haven't received a decision from H. I'm just surprised that you haven't received one with your numbers.

I think the answer to this question depends a bit on your school and how much additional money it will cost you. It'll also depend on your future goals. You say you don't necessarily want to work biglaw in New York, where do you want to work?
I was also a bit surprised not to hear back from Harvard yet. My application has been ready for review since June 15.

In terms of where I want to work, I think I could see myself in the Chicago, D.C., or Philly markets. I think I want to work in corporate law, but gave not yet crossed off litigation.

Someone told me that I would do better at OCI in my current school because transfers are not looked upon favorably by employees. Thoughts?

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am currently top 5% in my class at a school ranked around 20. I made law review and currently have a decent scholarship.

So far, I have gotten into NYU. I am waiting to hear back from Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, and Penn.

I do not necessarily need to work in a big law firm in New York. Is there any reason to transfer to NYU?

How much is prestige worth and do I get that from NYU and Penn or only from an HYS type of school?
If prestige is what you're after, and you've got all of these things going for you at your current school, I'd stay put unless an offer from HYS materializes. If it does, I guess the question then becomes how much YOU'RE willing to pay for it. I personally would stay put. You're in line to get whatever job you want through OCI, assuming you kill your interviews.

Got30

New

Post by Got30 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:52 am

Jmart082 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am currently top 5% in my class at a school ranked around 20. I made law review and currently have a decent scholarship.

If prestige is what you're after, and you've got all of these things going for you at your current school, I'd stay put unless an offer from HYS materializes. If it does, I guess the question then becomes how much YOU'RE willing to pay for it. I personally would stay put. You're in line to get whatever job you want through OCI, assuming you kill your interviews.
Thanks!

Is prestige the only reason to transfer to any of these schools. With my current situation, do you think I would be doing more harm than good by transferring to any school other than Harvard?

If I wanted to work in Philly or Chicago, would it not make sense to transfer to Chicago or Penn if an offer from either school materializes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:56 am

Got30 wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:

Thanks!

Is prestige the only reason to transfer to any of these schools. With my current situation, do you think I would be doing more harm than good by transferring to any school other than Harvard?

If I wanted to work in Philly or Chicago, would it not make sense to transfer to Chicago or Penn if an offer from either school materializes?
Chicago is a really tough market to crack, from what I've been told, but even still, I think that with your credentials, you should at least be competitive for positions there. That being said, of course UChi/Penn will give you a bump in either market, I just don't know if it's the sort of bump that'd be worth foregoing law review/substantial scholarship considerations to get. I think that before you make any kind of decision, I'd try to do some research on the sort of outcomes that transfers to each of the schools are getting through OCI. They don't tend to do as well at some schools as opposed to others. That would be good to know before taking that sort of a plunge. I think that being positioned so highly in your class makes your situation such that the only thing you'd get out of tranferring is a prestige bump, and best case scenario, more interviews, assuming that transfers fare well in your new school.
Last edited by Jmart082 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Got30

New

Post by Got30 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
Got30 wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:

Thanks!

Chicago is a really tough market to crack, from what I've been told, but even still, I think that with your credentials, you should at least be competitive for positions there. That being said, of course UChi/Penn will give you a bump in either market, I just don't know if it's the sort of bump that'd be worth foregoing law review/substantial scholarship considerations to get. I think that before you make any kind of decision, I'd try to do some research on the sort of outcomes that transfers to each of the schools are getting through OCI. They don't tend to do as well at some schools as opposed to others. That would be good to know before taking that sort of a plunge.
Thanks! Does anyone out there know how transfer students do at these schools?

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Got30 wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
Got30 wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:

Thanks!

Chicago is a really tough market to crack, from what I've been told, but even still, I think that with your credentials, you should at least be competitive for positions there. That being said, of course UChi/Penn will give you a bump in either market, I just don't know if it's the sort of bump that'd be worth foregoing law review/substantial scholarship considerations to get. I think that before you make any kind of decision, I'd try to do some research on the sort of outcomes that transfers to each of the schools are getting through OCI. They don't tend to do as well at some schools as opposed to others. That would be good to know before taking that sort of a plunge.
Thanks! Does anyone out there know how transfer students do at these schools?
There's data on this specific point buried somewhere in these forums. I'm not sure, but if you ask or run a search, I think you'll find it.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:04 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=132670
This is old, and from a time where the market was more stagnant, but I think it's useful as a guide.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:06 pm

If you really want Philly it obviously makes sense to transfer to Penn, but you'd still want ties.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Probably would help if you identified your current law school (ranked around #20). Also, what is a "decent scholarship " ?

Got30

New

Post by Got30 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:43 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Probably would help if you identified your current law school (ranked around #20). Also, what is a "decent scholarship " ?
GW and around 23k a year.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Top 5% & law review at GWU with a very decent scholarship is not worth transferring to NYU--especially since you're not targeting NYC biglaw. Top 5% & law review at GWU is a substantial achievement that should result in lots of choice interviews. Harvard & Yale should remain in the picture if you can get some decent financial aid. But, in your current position, you should have plenty of career options & a chance to graduate in the top 5% (which may come into play during your first several years after law school).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Got30

New

Post by Got30 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:53 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Top 5% & law review at GWU with a very decent scholarship is not worth transferring to NYU--especially since you're not targeting NYC biglaw. Top 5% & law review at GWU is a substantial achievement that should result in lots of choice interviews. Harvard & Yale should remain in the picture if you can get some decent financial aid. But, in your current position, you should have plenty of career options & a chance to graduate in the top 5% (which may come into play during your first several years after law school).
Thanks!

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:58 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Top 5% & law review at GWU with a very decent scholarship is not worth transferring to NYU--especially since you're not targeting NYC biglaw. Top 5% & law review at GWU is a substantial achievement that should result in lots of choice interviews. Harvard & Yale should remain in the picture if you can get some decent financial aid. But, in your current position, you should have plenty of career options & a chance to graduate in the top 5% (which may come into play during your first several years after law school).
THIS

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”