WUSTL c/o 2017 #massexodus Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transferring out of WUSTL?

Yes #massexodus
59%
Hoping to, but my cycle isn't over
2%
I applied out but will probably stay
7%
No
33%

Total votes: 46

chuckbass

Platinum

Re: Wustl transfers out

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:36 pm

registering wrote:I'd think a preselect system has its advantages for people who are top 20% of your class. Anything lower might be more of a crapshot. Unless they're trading up to a T6 (which I see a few of in the transfer forum) or HYS, doing WUSTL -> lower T14 probably won't bump your chances by much.
The thing is, medianish WUSTL students can land lower T14s. Going from zero interviews at WUSTL to over a dozen at a lower T14 certainly increases your chances.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:23 pm

registering wrote:I'd think a preselect system has its advantages for people who are top 20% of your class. Anything lower might be more of a crapshot. Unless they're trading up to a T6 (which I see a few of in the transfer forum) or HYS, doing WUSTL -> lower T14 probably won't bump your chances by much.
There's a weird area around top 20% where you get tons of interviews but it's actually probably still worse for you than a lottery because you'll be at or near the bottom of the stack grade-wise in most of your interviews.

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Rename thread "WUSTL Diaspora"

middlemarch

New

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 #massexodus

Post by middlemarch » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:14 am

I've seen this idea of a mass transfer from WUSTL on multiple threads. Out of curiosity, what happened, or what's the general atmosphere, that's causing the departures?

ForgotMyPassword

New

Post by ForgotMyPassword » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:27 pm

hoos89 wrote:
There's a weird area around top 20% where you get tons of interviews but it's actually probably still worse for you than a lottery because you'll be at or near the bottom of the stack grade-wise in most of your interviews.
This and WUSTL not negotiating scholarship are the reasons I'm now leaning towards leaving even though I'm apparently one of the few who actually really like it here. Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:03 pm

Apparently the final tally is close to 50 transfers out.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apparently the final tally is close to 50 transfers out.
Seems like so far transfers are doing well, even lower T14 ones.

bluedolphin

New

Post by bluedolphin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Apparently I should have transferred. I've heard of Skadden and Cravath so far from people roughly top 20% at WUSTL.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:53 pm

bluedolphin wrote:Apparently I should have transferred. I've heard of Skadden and Cravath so far from people roughly top 20% at WUSTL.
For people with those grades that transferred you mean or stayed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bluedolphin

New

Post by bluedolphin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:04 pm

chuckbass wrote:
bluedolphin wrote:Apparently I should have transferred. I've heard of Skadden and Cravath so far from people roughly top 20% at WUSTL.
People who transferred.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:09 pm

bluedolphin wrote:
chuckbass wrote:
People who transferred.
Ok yeah that's what I thought you meant. I know of a few others around that grade range with other V10s. But apparently WUSTL did end up readjusting the grade cutoffs after all?

ForgotMyPassword

New

Post by ForgotMyPassword » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:20 pm

chuckbass wrote:Ok yeah that's what I thought you meant. I know of a few others around that grade range with other V10s. But apparently WUSTL did end up readjusting the grade cutoffs after all?
Heard from a friend who didn't transfer that they adjusted the cutoffs late last week. No idea why they would do it now instead of pre-OCI, other than perhaps they didn't want the unusually large number of transfer applicants to feel "forced out" by bumping more people into each percentile range.

From the few other transfers I know at various schools, we are as a group doing very well.

bluedolphin

New

Post by bluedolphin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:58 pm

ForgotMyPassword wrote:
chuckbass wrote:Ok yeah that's what I thought you meant. I know of a few others around that grade range with other V10s. But apparently WUSTL did end up readjusting the grade cutoffs after all?
Heard from a friend who didn't transfer that they adjusted the cutoffs late last week. No idea why they would do it now instead of pre-OCI, other than perhaps they didn't want the unusually large number of transfer applicants to feel "forced out" by bumping more people into each percentile range.

From the few other transfers I know at various schools, we are as a group doing very well.
Cutoffs were adjusted. Beyond the outliers who are crushing it, people are doing well here but not super well. I know of a few of top 10% types with only 0-2 callbacks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:12 pm

A combination of administration pissing off a few different sections and the general realization that even top 15% won't net you biglaw for sure. Transferring up makes it a lot easier for whatever reason.

And just to second what the other transfers have been saying: there have been folks below top third at WUSTL who transferred and snagged V10 or V20. Highly recommend.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:23 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:Nosy outsider here.

100 transfers out from a T20? Whoa! Like...what even happened?
No no, like half that. Where did you read 100?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:33 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
chuckbass wrote:
NoDayButToday wrote:Nosy outsider here.

100 transfers out from a T20? Whoa! Like...what even happened?
No no, like half that. Where did you read 100?
I'm sorry - I had just read 100 for American WCL for last year and got them mixed up in my head. But still--50?! That's a lot! I wonder if it will impact Wash U's rank/reputation this cycle.
Yeah I figured you were thinking AU. And I doubt it, that has nothing to do with US News. Plus honestly it seems like outside of TLS, most people really have little knowledge about schools they're applying to, so I doubt people would even look at ABA 509s, let alone notice the number of transfers.

trey ohh five

New

Post by trey ohh five » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Where you guys getting this info? 509 reports for this year already out?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:03 am

Are there any WUSTLers out there who transferred who would be willing to PM me and give me some situation-specific advice? I am a current 1L at WUSTL, and I had a personal situation arise where I will need to be transferring out to a new area after this year. I would like to continue law school, and would like some advice from anyone who's been through it before.

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”