T20-->H Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay or Go?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Stay
31%
Go
69%

Total votes: 36

Anonymous User

T20-->H

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi all,

Currently in top 10% at a T20 and was just accepted into Harvard. Trying to decide if transferring would be worth it...

I am receiving substantial scholarship money from my current school and would graduate with about 30k in debt if I get a SA position next year. If I transfer, that number goes up to about 130-140k. I did not make law review at my current school and did not participate in the write-on at Harvard. My short term goal is BigLaw (corporate/ transactional), and while I would be content to practice in the market that my current school is located in, I would prefer to work in either NY, DC, or SF. Long term, I would like to work in-house or maybe even take a crack at academia.

I understand that transferring would probably be a short-term sacrifice (in debt) for long term benefits (in opportunities). I wanted to get some feedback from others here on what they would do in my shoes. Thanks!

w7ldcard

Bronze

Re: T20-->H

Post by w7ldcard » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Currently in top 10% at a T20 and was just accepted into Harvard. Trying to decide if transferring would be worth it...

I am receiving substantial scholarship money from my current school and would graduate with about 30k in debt if I get a SA position next year. If I transfer, that number goes up to about 130-140k. I did not make law review at my current school and did not participate in the write-on at Harvard. My short term goal is BigLaw (corporate/ transactional), and while I would be content to practice in the market that my current school is located in, I would prefer to work in either NY, DC, or SF. Long term, I would like to work in-house or maybe even take a crack at academia.

I understand that transferring would probably be a short-term sacrifice (in debt) for long term benefits (in opportunities). I wanted to get some feedback from others here on what they would do in my shoes. Thanks!
For academia then you need HYS

TTtop13pct

New

Post by TTtop13pct » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:43 am

T20 10%... This data point run counter to the building narrative that this has been an especially competitive cycle. OP, grats and go

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

How much do you want Academia? If you actually want it in the long term, then you need Harvard. If you have any deigns on more "unicorn-y" jobs, then H is the way to go, and if you're risk averse, H is still the way to go.

However, you can pretty much win the law-school game if you graduate top 10% with a big-law offer and have only 30k in debt if you stick with your current school. It's all up to how much you want other types of jobs, and how much you're willing to risk to get them.

...also, what kind of clerking shot does someone in your position have? If you're top 10% and can get a clerkship --> big-law, and only 30k debt, you're pretty golden.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:36 am

Why not reveal the T-20 law school ? Assuming that your current law school is not in the T-14, transfer since you want to live & work outside of your current region & Harvard places well everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:59 pm

OP here. My school is in LA (UCLA/USC) and top preference is to work in SF, but NYC and DC are close behind. I'm not too sure what my clerking chances are here, but I would assume that they would be about the same as if I were to transfer. I'm thinking more about long-term and when it comes to trying to move in-house.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. My school is in LA (UCLA/USC) and top preference is to work in SF, but NYC and DC are close behind. I'm not too sure what my clerking chances are here, but I would assume that they would be about the same as if I were to transfer. I'm thinking more about long-term and when it comes to trying to move in-house.
It won't matter for moving in-house. That's all about the firm you're working at and the client connections you make there.

It will matter if you are serious about NY or DC. My sense is that even a top 10% candidate at UCLA would struggle to crack elite firms in those markets, just because of how few graduates of that school are practicing there. If you wanted to stay in LA, I'd say stay at your current school. But given your geographic ambivalence, lack of law review at your school, and eye towards academia, transferring is probably the right call.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”