Columbia Transfer - From T2 Part Time Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GT2016JN

New

Columbia Transfer - From T2 Part Time

Post by GT2016JN » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 pm

Anyone have any advice or insight?

Transferring from a local NY/NJ AREA school in the 55-65 range as a part time student with 24 credits and 3.9 gpa.

Is Columbia possible?
Last edited by GT2016JN on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandwhich

Bronze

Re: Columbia Transfer - From T2 Part Time

Post by sandwhich » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:51 pm

From Columbia's website:

Applicants are eligible to apply for transfer admission into the second year class after having accrued a minimum of 28 credits from law schools that are either members of the American Association of Law Schools (AALS) or approved by the section on Legal Education of the American Bar Association.

Is there any authority out there to counter this seemingly clear-cut policy?

GT2016JN

New

Post by GT2016JN » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Yes.

"The Office of Admissions receives approximately 400 transfer applications each year, and we anticipate that 45 to 60 students will enroll in the Law School’s transfer program each year. Applicants are eligible to apply for transfer admission after having accrued a minimum of 28, and a maximum of 32*, credits from law schools that are either members of the American Association of Law Schools (AALS) or approved by the American Bar Association’s section on Legal Education.

*Please note that we are able to consider applicants with fewer than 28 credits and more than 32 credits; applicants to whom this applies must include a written explanation with their application for admission. After you have transferred, a review with the Director of Academic Counseling will determine how many credits will be eligible toward your Columbia Law School J.D. degree."

http://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions/ ... er-student

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:58 pm

Then I will say you're competitive for transfer so long as:

1) You have a fantastic class rank to go along with that high GPA and

2) The admissions office has no particular aversion to accepting part-timers.

The second prong I cannot speak to, but apparently Columbia is very transfer friendly even from an 'upper' T2. Also, you have the added benefit of already being in NY so you can sell ties.

GT2016JN

New

Post by GT2016JN » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:02 pm

sandwhich wrote:Then I will say you're competitive for transfer so long as:

1) You have a fantastic class rank to go along with that high GPA and

2) The admissions office has no particular aversion to accepting part-timers.

The second prong I cannot speak to, but apparently Columbia is very transfer friendly even from an 'upper' T2. Also, you have the added benefit of already being in NY so you can sell ties.
Sorry I was unclear, I'm from a local NY/NJ school. They took 1 person from my school last year, but it was probably a FT student.

Do you think that softs matter assuming I have a high class rank 1-5?

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:05 pm

I only think softs matter in transfer decisions as a tie breaker. If you have softs that are likely to help you to get a job and another similarly situated applicant does not, I think you would win out. Otherwise, I think the general belief is that the influence of softs is negligible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”