GW -> GULC, should I transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I transfer?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 25

felinafelina

Bronze

GW -> GULC, should I transfer?

Post by felinafelina » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm currently top 10-15% at GW, receiving $6k in need-based aid. I'm semi-involved on campus and I don't know about journal yet.

Georgetown also grants need-based aid and they have a write-on competition but I don't believe LR participates.

Their tuitions are practically the same. I have no strong feelings or ties whatsoever for GW so it's really a question of what school will give me better employment opportunities. GW places 18% into big law, GULC 33%, so almost double. However, since I'm a transfer, will my odds at OCI be worse at GULC than at GW? (Will I be a small fish in a big pond vs. big fish at GW?)

I'm quite torn and am not sure what decision to make and the deposit is due soon. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

chuckbass

Platinum

Re: GW -> GULC, should I transfer?

Post by chuckbass » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:12 pm

You can write on to LR at GULC, but there just aren't many transfer spots (maybe just a couple iirc from last year's thread).

Also where are you getting those biglaw numbers?

GW: 28.6% http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gw/2014/
GULC: 44.9% http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/gulc/2014/

Given your grades at GW, you should be able to get biglaw and I don't see moving up to GULC increasing your immediate employment opportunities. You should definitely talk to GW about giving you more money to stay. While you don't need to transfer, if you don't get any more money and you'd rather have the GULC brand/alumni network for the future, then transferring isn't a bad idea.

felinafelina

Bronze

Post by felinafelina » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:50 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:You can write on to LR at GULC, but there just aren't many transfer spots (maybe just a couple iirc from last year's thread).

Given your grades at GW, you should be able to get biglaw and I don't see moving up to GULC increasing your immediate employment opportunities. You should definitely talk to GW about giving you more money to stay. While you don't need to transfer, if you don't get any more money and you'd rather have the GULC brand/alumni network for the future, then transferring isn't a bad idea.
I've talked to GW and they say they won't give me any more money. Also I was referring to the 501+ numbers, my bad, but yeah, the numbers you have show it's not as big a difference but still an increase. Thanks for the input!

Wouldliketotransfer2

Bronze

Post by Wouldliketotransfer2 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:20 pm

felinafelina wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:You can write on to LR at GULC, but there just aren't many transfer spots (maybe just a couple iirc from last year's thread).

I've talked to GW and they say they won't give me any more money. Also I was referring to the 501+ numbers, my bad, but yeah, the numbers you have show it's not as big a difference but still an increase. Thanks for the input!
If they said they wont give you any more money then you should transfer because 6k is not too much. The only problem I see is that if you transfer you will start from zero again. Did you apply to other schools? I think you can have a chance somewhere better.

hartfordhockaloogies

New

Post by hartfordhockaloogies » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:22 pm

I would apply to transfer and apply for need based aid. Once you get that info, then make the decision. If GULC is cheaper, I'd transfer. You'll still have the top 15% at GW sticker on your resume (as you would at GW), but you have more firms to interview with and you have the slight added bonus of a better school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cerberaus

New

Post by Cerberaus » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:27 pm

I voted no. However, my real answer would be that you should transfer to another school in the T14 if Big Law is so important. I think you have a good shot at Northwestern, Michigan, and maybe even Duke (shoot for NYU as well). You have two more days, but I'd get those apps in ASAP.

Otherwise, if it's between GULC or GW, don't transfer. You are starting from nothing at GULC and fighting with the top half for Big Law. At GW, even if only 18% make Big Law, you're in the top 15%. You only need to maintain in order to realize your goal. Moreover, I imagine your rank will increase when others transfer out.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:35 pm

Remember that 100+ is the general cutoff for biglaw, not 500+. More attorneys does not mean it's a better firm fwiw.

registering

New

Post by registering » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 pm

I'd be wary of GW's biglaw numbers. The school has touted itself as an IP-heavyweight (which is rather ridiculous given the requirements to get an IP job, as well as the availability of Loyola PLIP) so you will see some self-selection that leads IP Secure folks to go there and pick up biglaw jobs you likely had no shot at.

GULC is probably still worth it IMO. You'll be listing your original school and its stats in the application anyways, after all, so you'll have the benefit of your old school ranking for EIW at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”