How to tell friends you're leaving Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to tell friends you're leaving

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Any advice on how to approach this? It just seems like one big uncomfortable situation.

stego

Platinum

Re: How to tell friends you're leaving

Post by stego » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on how to approach this? It just seems like one big uncomfortable situation.
Context? Have you never moved away from a place before?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:30 pm

I invited those I was close to who were still in town out for a drink and told them. Called a couple who were out of town for summer, and then posted to FB.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

pd_1023

New

Post by pd_1023 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:12 pm

stasg wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any advice on how to approach this? It just seems like one big uncomfortable situation.
Context? Have you never moved away from a place before?
This is the transfer thread, so the context is telling your 1L friends that you're leaving. It's definitely a little awkward because not only are you telling people you've become very close to that you won't be around anymore, but also because you feel like you're implying that the school that they'll be graduating from isn't good enough for you, even though that's likely not true.

I'm sure you have good reasons for moving on, and your friends will probably understand those reasons and be supportive. When I told my friends, I tried to wait to see them in person. They were very supportive and happy for me. It was a relief to tell them. The worst thing you can do is just not say anything and lose those well-forged relationships.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:15 pm

If you have friends at your tt 1L school I assume you're doing it wrong

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm planning to tell my close friends face to face or via text and tell the rest of my class via facebook.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Um, just tell them you're transferring. People transfer all the time. Why would this be weird?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:34 pm

PourMeTea wrote:If you have friends at your tt 1L school I assume you're doing it wrong
Always the charmer.

The 1L class president at my school transferred out, and he e-mailed basically everyone in our class he'd ever spoken to and told them and said something about how it wasn't the people or the school, just a choice he was making based on his personal goals, and he would miss us all. He was a really nice guy so I kind of appreciated the gesture, but I would still probably not suggest doing that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:If you have friends at your tt 1L school I assume you're doing it wrong
Always the charmer.

The 1L class president at my school transferred out, and he e-mailed basically everyone in our class he'd ever spoken to and told them and said something about how it wasn't the people or the school, just a choice he was making based on his personal goals, and he would miss us all. He was a really nice guy so I kind of appreciated the gesture, but I would still probably not suggest doing that.
Awwww, tea reported this post to call me a bitch. Missed you, tea.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Always the charmer.

Awwww, tea reported this post to call me a bitch. Missed you, tea.
:lol:

To OP: But also yeah, it's really not a big deal. If they're your friends, they'll completely understand you making what you believe to be the best decision for you and your career. This is professional school and we have to make adult decisions.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:10 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Awwww, tea reported this post to call me a bitch. Missed you, tea.
I'm glad she's back.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”